Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:39:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
TQP Forum has a new look!  Let us know what you think!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Individual State/Country Discussion
| | |-+  Michigan
| | | |-+  Any Michiganders out there
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Any Michiganders out there  (Read 24699 times)
jwinsor

« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2009, 08:38:58 AM »

Mid-Michigan here. 10 miles South of Ithaca. New to the business of gamebirds but lovin it. Gunner where in Ithaca ? Have any more quail chicks for sale this year ? Shoot, I have been driving to Rosebush to get chicks. Let me know. I am in Ithaca M-F.
Just curious where your located at... I'm from Maple Rapids originally.  Now i'm teaching in Ionia and doing a pheasant project for the high school biology classes.  Looking at possibly extending to quail.  I'm looking for some additional help with raising birds / hatching eggs from people that have been doing this for a while.  Thanks
Gunny

Personal Text

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2010, 07:12:14 PM »

Hey All,
     New to the quail hobby. Wondering what kind of problems anyone may have encountered with the harsh Michigan winters.  Keep all birds inside?  I have a roofed pen that I am looking to add bobwhite's next spring.  This roof shields from rain/snow.  If anyone can help let me know.  New Baltimore, MI
rick54

Personal Text

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2015, 10:38:29 PM »

Hello everyone, I'm located in Rockford, just a stones throw north of Grand Rapids. I have an interest in getting into raising quail for meat. Haven't decided on what breed to get though. I have a question on the Bobwhites and the need for getting a permit to keep. I know there are a lot of different strains of Bobwhites offered, so can I pretty much figure if it has "Bobwhite" in the name it needs a permit from the state to keep? Are there a lot of hoops to jump through in order to get a permit to raise meat birds?  Thank you for the info.
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2015, 05:17:34 AM »

Hello everyone, I'm located in Rockford, just a stones throw north of Grand Rapids. I have an interest in getting into raising quail for meat. Haven't decided on what breed to get though. I have a question on the Bobwhites and the need for getting a permit to keep. I know there are a lot of different strains of Bobwhites offered, so can I pretty much figure if it has "Bobwhite" in the name it needs a permit from the state to keep? Are there a lot of hoops to jump through in order to get a permit to raise meat birds?  Thank you for the info.

Your best chances are to talk with your state division of natural resources. Most likely as with other states and including WV any wild game bird whether indigenous to the state or not will also include all sub species of quail, pheasant, grouse, and chukar’s. Your DNR can tell you what is require of you  prior to receiving game birds from pen size to sqft per bird and also about importing from other states. Record keeping is a major part of the game bird world.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »