Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 03:26:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hope everyone had a great year.  Welcome to 2013.  Our monthly drawings will be starting back soon!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Brooding and Raising
| | |-+  Fire ants got my Gamble's!!!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fire ants got my Gamble's!!!  (Read 4611 times)
Blue Ridge Quail Farm
« on: July 24, 2006, 11:22:32 AM »

It is a sad day in Blue Ridge!  My 8 week old babies got transfered to there grow out pen and all but one got swarmed by fire ants and killed.  They got them in their sleep covyed up in a corner.  I thought I had the ant situation under control but these DAMN FIRE ANTS are tiny monsters.  It is very sad because they were so strong and healthy.  I will have to start all over next year with the Gamble's unless someone has any eggs left this year I can get. 

I had posted earlier about these vicious little killers and some thought it was no big deal but I am here to tell you they can devastate months of hard work in one night. 

If any one knows where I can get any more please let me know.

Thank you,
Tom
douglasgraham
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2006, 11:55:50 AM »

Man that is terrible. That’s a lot of hard work down the drain, really sorry about you losing all of those nice birds. I hope you can find some eggs and move on. Where are you located on the Blue Ridge? My wife and I have a place in Bluemont West of Winchester Virginia just across the Shenandoah River up on the mountain.
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2006, 01:32:53 PM »

sorry to hear that.

once in a while you'll see gamble eggs on ebay still. good luck.
Blue Ridge Quail Farm
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2006, 01:47:21 PM »

Thank you for your kind words.  Blue Ridge is a small Texas town Northeast of the Dallas and Ft. Worth area.  Not as pretty as from your territory but still a great place to live.  Need lots of rain though due to the drought here.
Thank you,
Tom
douglasgraham
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2006, 02:58:42 PM »

Eggs on ebay!!!!! Who'ed a thought that would ever happen. Yes America you can get anything on eBay! Now I know where my next stop on the internet is going to be.
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2006, 01:58:40 AM »

Real sorry to hear about that.

But I do believe that you were warned about the fire ants by those whom know their capability and others whom have no experience with fire ants had cautioned you. Always remember that not everyones enviroments are the same. My ants are almost harmless in my part of the world. You should know more about those little S787b's than anyone.

Nevertheless, I'm sorry to hear that you took the chance and lost the birds. It is a lot of time, effort, and expense to raise these birds and hope that you can find some replacements this year. I'm sure you can, but sounds as though the ants are still going to give you problems.

Good Luck

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Blue Ridge Quail Farm
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2006, 12:02:56 PM »

You are right about my knowledge of fire ants here but it is a difficult issue to deal with when you have other critters that the poison can effect in the exact same area.  You can not escape them only control them.  My flight pen/cage area is adjacent to the new pen built for the Gamble's and the birds there have no issue with the ants.  The monsters just know that the younger guys are stupid enough to just lay there and let them swarm them with out moving.  I have been given a new method from an extermination expert that should really help in the future but there is never a sure thing because they will travel hundreds of yards to find food sources and you can not always find their mounds.  Making it through the summer months is the key because they disappear in the cold months.  My process will now change to grow out the younger guys in an indoor barn with concrete floor that can be treated all around the outside of the quail area to ward them off.  Also giving them more stuff to climb on in the pens will also help.  Thank you for your comments and criticism.
Tom
honda2hummer
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2006, 12:34:07 PM »

hey the whole ebay thing works for me, I have gotten well over 150 eggs and they are doing fine.
It is funny how you can get almost everything on ebay
kat
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2006, 04:44:25 PM »

Hi Tom,
I am sorry to hear about that swarm. I had bad dreams that night about our bobs. We also have the monsters here in SC. Would you share the new method of dealing with them that you mentioned? We would love to hear it. Have really enjoyed your posts. Also, would you care to share how you got involved with the birds? God bless,
kat
drwink
Expert Member

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2006, 05:16:38 PM »

Might want to send a pm to magnumhntr, he still had some gambels laying
Sorry about your loss.

Wally

Birddogs, homegrown Tomatoes & the Blues
To me, it dosen't get any better than that

DW Farm & Kennel
pamike
Expert Member

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2006, 07:47:24 PM »

Too bad you can't buy chicks or live birds on ebay.

I am happy we don't have fire ants in my area.

mike
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »