Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 04:13:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Buy & Sell Gamebirds online!
Click Here for TQP Auction & Ads
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Health Issues
| | |-+  5 day old Coturnix Chicks with eye ulcers.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 5 day old Coturnix Chicks with eye ulcers.  (Read 4593 times)
monarc23

« on: August 22, 2008, 01:35:55 PM »

Okay, I'm having no luck on the group im on that deals with chickens AND game birds so I'm comnig here for a better source of information.

It sounds like my chicks may have Corsya (sp?) or some other form of such but I am not sure and am finding no information...

Found the first chick (at 4 days old) acting miserable and squinting an eye, I picked it up and shined a light at it's eye only to see a small peice of what looked like bedding in the eye, I declicately removed it. Next day, I wake up look at all my birds and see the same little guy acting miserable again squinting that eye. I pick him up and shine a light and see an ulcer...I think nothing much of it, put some terramycin eye ointment on it and leave him be back in the brooder.

A few hours later, I look in and that same chicks eye is ballooned up dramatically....as you can see:

here is the ulcer in the eye:

Again, I just put him back in and worried, wondered what to do and tried to find ways i could treat what I thought was a scratched eye from the bedding being stuck in there. Couldnt find much other than to treat with the terramycin which I did ofcourse...

However, late last night I was looking into the brooder and saw another chick acting blah and squinting an eye, I picked itup and sure enough it had an ucler too,...i freaked out...built up a new brooder and put both those chicks in it...

cleaned out the main brooder, and put all clean stuff back in for the chicksin the main brooder and am feeding both brooders separately (by the way).

NO other symptoms were showing at the time...

I posted on a group and someone suggested that corsyoa thing that I can't remember how to spell (sorry too stressed to look it up righ tnow i just am hoping for advice here or anything ).

Hours went by, and it was around 1 am, I looked back into the main brooder and ended up having to throw a bunch more chicks in the "medical brooder"....ulcers....(all just in one eye)...however none have swelled up like the one chicks did (and is still swollen today mind you).

I have 10 chicks in the brooder, two of which do not have ulcers, however the one i put in last night without an ulcer because it was acting like it's eye hurt, so taking no chances i put it in there...the other hacked up water it just drank on me while i was giving it a shot of antibiotic as prevention....i assume that it may have just been upset but im not taking any chances. The water was still cool and clear from me just pouring it in a few moments before i picked up the chick.

Yes I gave all of the chicks a shot which was really hard to do since they're only 6 days old today...I'm pretty stressed out because im sure it's proabbly effected some of hteir mobility getting stabbed in such a small muscle....i gave them a very VERY small dose of oxyterramycin.

NO sneezing, no weezing though one chick I threw in the medical brooder was gasping (but only when i picked it up).

All chicks in both brooders are being very quiet, very little calling going on. HOwever in the main brooder they're still happily eating and drinknig, just quiet and seemingly sleeping more than normal...

in the medical brooder...eating and drinking but doing a ton of sleeping and acting in severe pain with their eyes and now with being given a shot.....

I had no other alternitive place to give them the shot...soemone had reccomended a few drops down the throat, but two things stopped me....putting in one drop too many accidentally, or it not being as effective being it suggest an intramuscular injection.

Do you know what this is? Have you seen it before? Should I cull the whole flock? It's obviously contagious..no doubt about it whatever it is... and with that being said, if you know what this is, will they get better possibly and become immune OR will they be carriers the rest of their lives and damage any future bringign in of quail???

Also, is there ANY Possiblity of them getting my other animals sick? (dogs, cats, rabbits- i doubt it but i just wanted to ask...).

Thank you for any advice...

Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 08:43:53 AM »

I've never had your problem, so I cannot say what it is.

However, why would you not contact a Vet to see what the problem is ?
nicodemusliam

Personal Text

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 01:33:19 AM »

You need to Move your newly hatched Coturnix quail chicks to the brooders once they are dry and completely free of their shell. Your chicks may hatch at different rates, so keep a close eye on all the eggs to make sure all the chicks get placed in the brooder as soon as possible.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »