Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:33:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Adding Pictures to your message is EASY! 
While creating a topic, click on ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and then the Browse
button. Select a picture file from your computer and your done!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Production and Business
| |-+  Gamebird Business Aspects
| | |-+  selling quail eggs for eating
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: selling quail eggs for eating  (Read 17592 times)
publius13
« on: July 28, 2007, 04:14:16 AM »

Does anyone sell  quail eggs for eating?  If so, for how much?
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2007, 08:39:57 AM »

Does anyone sell  quail eggs for eating?  If so, for how much?

I wouldn't if I were you. First off, some states require a paper trail on any wild game bird(eggs, chicks, adults). Another reason, you could be setting your self up for a liability issue when selling any type of eggs for the general public that hasn't been certified by either your state Dept of AG, or by the USDA.

Selling eggs as hatchable would release you of any liability as long as you are within your state DNR regulations. Shipping eggs out of state may require N.P.I.P. and AI (your state) being certified free of any disease that a purchaser from out of state may order.

I gave away over 1000 dozen eggs(pheasant) this year as consumables. The though crossed my mind about selling them for $1.00 a dozen just to help with the feed bill. After checking the the State Dept of AG, it was not advisable do to the issues of liability.

They wanted me to have a separate staging area from my pen location and an approved USDA cleaning and refrigeration building along with quarterly inspections in grading and sampling of my eggs for any forms of salmonella. This is another reason I will not by Chicken eggs from road side stands. You never know what you are getting and at this stage of the game with salmonella showing up in all forms of domesticated meats and by products, it just doesn't pay.

If you have that many eggs, just give them away and make the neighbors happy.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
WHITNEYPLU
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2007, 11:32:03 PM »

Steve,
Why on earth did you give away over 12,000 eggs. Couldnt you have sold them online? Or are you just tired of it? Sure wished I would of had a bunch of them. Here the pheasant are non-existent in the wild other than a few from hunting clubs that got away. Sure would had helped get them going here in the wild.
publius13
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2007, 04:42:07 PM »

So nobody even sells quail eggs at the farmer's market or anything?
MtBullion Gamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2007, 06:50:51 PM »

Steve, I would have been happy to take some off your hands.  Next season let me know, I would be happy to buy some from you.

Teresa
Mt. Bullion Gamebirds
www.mtbulliongamebirds.com
Licensed Gamebird Breeder by the California Department of Fish and Game.  A.I. clean tested.  Not currently N.P.I.P.
tfs05
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2007, 05:38:08 PM »

We're small potatoes, mind you, but we sell locally to a private dining club and a fine foods grocer.  We sell them at $3/10 to the grocer and $5/10 to the club (restaurants have higher mark-ups).  We also sell direct-to-consumer for $3/10.  You may be able to get more.  Keep in mind the client.  The Asian food stores around here sell pretty nasty eggs for $1.25/10.  They're perceived by that market as a commodity.  However,  others see them as a premium.

If you have less than 3000 layers, you're not required by FDA to participate in the Salmonella reduction program that the others have mentioned.  I can send you the info.

We've been offered a chance to sell at the farmer's market here, but I can't justify the time right now.

I hope that helps.   
publius13
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2007, 06:39:18 PM »

I'd love more information and to be able to ask you some questions. 
tfs05
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2007, 05:13:40 PM »

Sorry, I've taken so long to reply.  I'd be happy to talk more.
Meadows Quail Farm

Meadows Quail Farm

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2007, 10:52:59 AM »

We have Quail Eggs available you can email me @ mead9997@bellsouth.net Thanks

Meadows Quail Farm
P.O. Box 338
Wadley, GA 30477
Ph 478-377-3108
publius13
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2008, 02:20:07 AM »

We have Quail Eggs available you can email me @ mead9997@bellsouth.net Thanks

Why would you post that in this thread?