Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 05, 2024, 10:44:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
TQP Forum has a new look!  Let us know what you think!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Health Issues
| | |-+  Quail dying
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Quail dying  (Read 2781 times)
Wing&aPrayer
« on: August 09, 2004, 10:48:38 PM »

I have Tuxedo quail that are becoming sick and dying. I had 3 of them. About a week ago one became sick. He started losing his balance and then his head tolted to one side and he couldnt get his balance. He didnt seem to have any breathing problems, wheezing, runny nose or anything. No dirreha noticed. He died in about 5 days. The remaining 2 seemed fine. Then about 2 hours ago I noticed one of them seemed to be having problems with cordination again. He will try to get and walk but just fall over and cant get up it seems to be getting worse. His eyes seem clear and once again no breathing problems or runny nose. He doesnt have the head tilt or anything like that actually he moves head around well and seems clear there. These are pets and live indoors so havent been exposed to any outdoor things. They are in a wire bottom cage so they arent in their droppings. The water and food are changed daily. I have removed the sick one and isolated him and then took the remaining quail out, who seems ok, and scrubbed the cage and bowls and all. They were by some older Bobwhites, they are about 17 weeks old, but they all seem ok but I did scrubb their cage also and moved them away from the tuxes. I have read up on common poultry diseases but nothing seemed to match his symtoms. Anybody have ideas or thoughts? My main concern is preventing the spread of anything. I have exotic birds also but they are in a different room but I dont want anything spreading to them or anything that can be contagious to humans I have 3 small children that like to play with the quail. Thanks for any info.

Christie
aurora_bahuki
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2004, 09:48:14 PM »

I once had that happen to one of my quails.  It was only about two or three weeks old and I was completely devistated when it died.  My quails were raised in similar conditions as yours an I also cleaned out the cage and food and such, and nothing spread.  None of the other quails have died this way.  I think it may be a problem with the individual quail rather than the food or cage or water.  This is my first time raising quail so I can't tell you what happend, but I don't think you should worry about it spreading to the other quails because it didn't spread to any of mine, and I handle them all the time and such.  I'm sorry I can't help much.  If anyone else tells you what went wrong, can you PM or e-mail me and tell me what they said?  Thanks.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »