Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 05, 2024, 11:09:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hope everyone had a great year.  Welcome to 2013.  Our monthly drawings will be starting back soon!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Health Issues
| | |-+  DYing bobwhites
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: DYing bobwhites  (Read 2801 times)
chickmatt
« on: July 25, 2006, 12:20:28 AM »

i had 30 bob whites that hatched and the first few days i lost none and yeaterday i lost 2 and today i lost 7... i am feeding them game bird starter... it is very fine. so i bleached their brooder tonight and put them back inside... first they get very week and cant stand. then they just fall over and stretch their legs out and finally die.. so i dont know what to do i have herd of people doing otopsy on their birds.. but i dont have that kind ov money. im only 15 and nowhere is hireing for a job around here. but any ways where can u buy these supplements or vitamens? and are they very cheep?
JohnInDixon
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2006, 08:33:41 AM »

Obvious question...  did you change their temperatures while you're bleaching the brooder? (did they get cold)  Secondly, are they walking on non-slippery surface "and cant stand" if so put paper towels down until they get themselves stable (3 or 4 days).  If your starter is high enough in protien you really shouldn't "need " vitamins.  Are they drinking? That's something you have to teach them! Pecking food is natural for them, digging around marbles (or whatever) for water is learned.

John
chickmatt
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2006, 01:46:38 PM »

yes but they were put right back under the light whyle changing... and bleaching. they are already on paper towls. yes they are drinking very good and they like walking on the marbles in their waterer
RedOakGamebirds
Administrator
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2006, 05:28:08 PM »

Try 1/2 tsp Aeuromycin per quart of their drinking water.  You should be able to get it locally at your feed store.  If you cant find that try Neomycin with the same dosage.  Short of going to your vet its a good general antibiotic that works really well.  You should see an improvement in 24-36 hours.  Keep them on this for 6-7 days and be sure the water is fresh.  Dont let the water cloud over.

Larry

We manufacture egg shipping foam!
Pollorum/Typhoid/Avian Free
NPIP 52-186
Member NAGA and Virginia Game Bird Asociation
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »