Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 05, 2024, 10:10:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Adding Pictures to your message is EASY! 
While creating a topic, click on ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and then the Browse
button. Select a picture file from your computer and your done!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Health Issues
| | |-+  Quail-Weakness in one leg
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Quail-Weakness in one leg  (Read 3031 times)
carrotcritters4h

Valley, Mexican Speckled, Bobwhite and Chukar

« on: May 12, 2005, 08:36:13 PM »

I have a bowhite quail who has been having some weakness in one leg for quite some time now. He does not like to walk on it and keeps it up. Also, when he has to walk on it he almost limps, he has gotten a little better since my original thought of coccidiosis and gave him some sulmet astreatment. But now he still is the same and i have noticed the same problems in a pair of my vallies. Does any one know what could be causing this. or how to treat it? I feed them 28% protein turkey starter and they have begun to molt. I woud just like some help to unravel this mystery. Thanks

-Carrot--Valley Girl Hatchery: Currenty Raising Quail: Valley, Mexican Speckled and Bobwhite and Chukar Partridge
stewaw
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2005, 09:15:09 AM »

My experience has been three main causes;
1.  Displaced hip joint during hatching- Never fully recover or develop properly.
2.  Injured toe or ankle from pecking- Often shows bloody spot or scab on toe or ankle area.  Corrected by eliminating "toe pecking"
3.  Injury from getting a toe caught in the wire or sharp piece of wire of the cages.  Most often temporary discomfort with little or no visible sign of injury. Quickly recover on their own.

David
carrotcritters4h

Valley, Mexican Speckled, Bobwhite and Chukar

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2005, 01:46:37 PM »

Well, the first one doesn't seem to be what it is because they were fine  up until now. THe second one i don't think so either becuase the bobwhite is alone in a coop and the others show not signs of toe picking. The 3rd one seems most applicable but one of the hens i have seems to show the weakness and she hasn't been on wire at all during her life. The bobwhite is on wire but the vallies aren't Do if you have any other suggestioins that would be much appreciated. thanks

-Carrot--Valley Girl Hatchery: Currenty Raising Quail: Valley, Mexican Speckled and Bobwhite and Chukar Partridge
stewaw
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2005, 09:09:24 PM »

Remember, wire and sharp metal/objects are not only on the floor.  I'm taking it for granted that you have wire on the sides or top of your pen/coop?  I've had mine injure themselves when flying into the sides of the pen as they often use their legs while flying up the sides (almost appears that they are trying to climb the wire).  Most of the time this shows up as a loss of feathers on their heads from hitting the wire, but I've seen them wedge a toenail into the "v" created by the circles in poultry netting/chicken wire and flip upside down.  Witnessing it first hand I've got to say it looks painful.  In my specific case however, limping from this injury is only a day or two.  Is it possible that something (dog,cat etc..) is flushing the birds and causing a similar injury? There are probably as many ways for birds to injure themselves in a pen as there are people who raise them. Just my thoughts.

Good luck,
David
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »