Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:25:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
TQP Forum has a new look!  Let us know what you think!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Hunting Gamebirds
| |-+  Hunting Gamebirds
| | |-+  bw or coturnix
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: bw or coturnix  (Read 6069 times)
mobe_45
Expert Member

« on: August 30, 2008, 11:39:40 PM »

Can you train a dog on coturnix and have them point bw's?
My son wants to get a dog but his wife won't let him have birds and a dog. So I thought I'd give him some coturnix to train it with. Would the dog be any good finding bw's? I read they two smell different.
I also remember that some trainers say to train on quail as they have less scent than pheasant. That way they'll point both.

Mark
LM GOA
Benefactor NRA
PF Member
LM NAHC
birddog
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 12:20:27 AM »

there are probably a million opinions  but for field trials around here in new england the bird might be pen raised quail or Pheasant or might be wild Pheasant , woodcock or ruffed grouse and a lot of people use quail and Pigeons for training so I do not think it matters what bird you use  the dogs do not care. if it has feathers its fair game .   my wife told me its her or the dogs. I,m going to miss her. s020

raising and breeding ringneck pheasants , bobwhite quail and English setters.  also have   turkeys, chickens, geese and pigs.. lions tigers bears oh my
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2008, 12:43:22 PM »

my wife told me its her or the dogs. I,m going to miss her. s020

I guess my advice is comming a little late, but you should have looked around a little longer.  s020

The problem with Coturnix is they often don't fly well, and especially are too tame, and don't flush wild.  You can raise them specifically for training, and improve his chances.

Have trained Brittanys on pen raised Quail and Chukar, and just Quail, and have had dogs whose first wild point was Prairie Chicken, Wild Turkey, and Bobwhites.   Often, if the training is done well, a dog will look twice as good on wild birds, as he did on pen raised, or planted birds, right from the start.

There is an old saying that you always ruin the first bird dog you train, so he should be aware of this.  It's not always true, but caution and patience pay off.

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
slider
Expert Member

What do you mean I have to press 1 for english.

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2008, 01:48:08 PM »

I would not miss her...He!! man stand up for yourself and get what you need to train your dog with...BOBWHITE!!!!

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
mobe_45
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2008, 03:23:43 PM »

j2 j2 thought this might turn out to be like asking what the best gun to hunt with does. Million answers and all of them right. s020 j41
Thanks to all.

Mark
LM GOA
Benefactor NRA
PF Member
LM NAHC
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »