Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 04:24:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Adding Pictures to your message is EASY! 
While creating a topic, click on ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and then the Browse
button. Select a picture file from your computer and your done!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  HELP!!! Whats killing my BW quail????
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: HELP!!! Whats killing my BW quail????  (Read 7783 times)
zipper

« on: May 14, 2008, 04:34:37 PM »

I have my BW quail in an outdoor grow out cage and have been losing 1 every night to some kind of critter. I have not seen anything around the cages at all but every morning there is one more dead and partially eaten. My grow out cages are 4' above ground with 1/2" x 1" wire bottoms and 1/2" x 1/2" wire fronts. Something is eating them through the bottom wire. I usually find one with the head and neck areas eaten but today I found one that had been "gutted". Any suggestions as to what is eating them and how to eliminate the rascals?
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 04:58:47 PM »

Set 4-6 rat traps around the ground under the pen ?
Maybe some largers ones as well, in case what ever it is , is reaching through the wire to do it's dasterdly deed.
NH/Pete
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 05:00:40 PM »

Try using a dead bird as bait in a live trap.

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
Abraham Lincoln
Sharpshooter

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 05:01:33 PM »

Sounds like a coon to me,I had the same thing happen.Set some traps under the pen.I caught a bunch of coons,possums,skunks.Leg holds and kill them there or live traps and kill 'em later.
yote1

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008, 06:02:31 PM »

If you don't have a roof it sure sounds like an owl with only the neck and head area eaten. If your using foot hold traps set them on light hit for smaller critters. Coons will usually kill them all
jchiar
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2008, 06:47:36 PM »

1/2x1 wire is to big for bottom use 1/2x1/2 and put a double layer space about 4 inches a part
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2008, 09:25:05 PM »

I usually find one with the head and neck areas eaten but today I found one that had been "gutted".

I've had the same gifts left for me and it has always been a coon.

Try using a dead bird as bait in a live trap.

That's exactly how I always caught them. 

I've been told that it's good luck to release them on the court house steps?   :evil:

1/2x1 wire is to big for bottom use 1/2x1/2 and put a double layer space about 4 inches a part

I agree with that, and the double layer with space in between idea is a sure-fire cure.

Rumor has it, that a bowl with a dead quail and 110 volts will put the hurts on it.........and anything else that comes in contact.   ^-^
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 10:01:01 AM by CharlieHorse » Logged

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2008, 07:06:11 AM »

I agree, more likely coons. If the head was gone, I would venture on mink.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
zipper

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2008, 04:32:49 PM »

I do have solid roofs and sides, only the front and bottom is wire. I just checked the pens today and no fatalities last night. I did set 2 leg hold traps underneath the affected pen. I hope I get that sucker and give him some lead poisoning. The 1/2 x 1 wire is what I have always used on the bottoms since it is a much heavier gauge than the 1/2 x 1/2. I will probably do the double layer as suggested.
jchiar
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2008, 06:05:02 PM »

leave the 1/2 x 1 and add 1/2 x 1/2
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2008, 07:58:04 PM »

I like the 1/2X1, also, for the weight.  I would Just add 1/2X1/2, or more 1/2X1, with 2X4s for spacers.

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
zipper

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2008, 09:14:02 PM »

Well, the culprit is back! I just found 6 more BW dead or dying. One had had both feet eaten off, another was partially eaten, and 4 more had just their beak/face eaten off and to beat it all one of the four was still alive and had to be destroyed. Neither of my leg hold traps had been sprung either!!! That does it, I'm off tomorrow so the cages get a secondary floor spaced about 4-6 inches below the existing floor. I am really P.O.'ed at this thing whatever it is. I go through a lot of trouble building secure pens, hatching eggs, brooding chicks, and all the other chores that come from this hobby to just sit back and let some critter kill my "babies". I promise a sure death to this thing when I catch it!!! Let the PETA put that in their pipe and smoke it.
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2008, 09:25:01 PM »

For tonight, I would put a radio under the pen (plugged in, and turned on).  The traps should be gang set.  Tie part of a dead bird to the bottom of the wire directly above traps.  Usually this will distract them so they don't notice the traps, but, if dirt is loose, bury the traps.  Barn tin all the way around would help a lot, but now that they know where to find the goodies that won't be enough.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 09:27:22 PM by wildergamebirds » Logged

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2008, 01:28:41 PM »

Well, the culprit is back!

Coons don't seem to strike every day. They'll get their bellies full, and that will last a couple of days until they're in need of a fill up. Then when your thinking that maybe it was an isolated incident and let your guard down.................

BAM!!

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Pine Grove

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2008, 09:04:58 PM »

Sounds like a  house cat to me..
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »