Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 08:14:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hope everyone had a great year.  Welcome to 2013.  Our monthly drawings will be starting back soon!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Golden Pheasants
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Golden Pheasants  (Read 2294 times)
Chukar Breeder
Expert Member

« on: July 21, 2006, 06:27:00 PM »

:laugh:Ok, so I am going to raise some golden pheasants. Can some people give some advice on raising them. I already raise Chukar and Ringneck Pheasants. How many square feet does each bird have to have? Is an 6ft. by 24ft.pen big enogh to hold 1 golden male and 2-3 golden females? Or could I have more? Does anybody have some suggestion on what to put in pen like (milo,corn,clover,etc.)? I use pine and cedar brush in my pens but after a while it turns brown does any body use some brush that works better?

Chukar Breeder
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2006, 08:49:35 PM »

The 144 sq. ft. , does that include the protective structure ? If so it is on the small side. You wouldn't want any more than a pair in it.
You'll find that if you plan a year in advance , you can properly landscape the pen. Planting then you put birds in it & they'll just dig them up. You would have to put the trees in cages for a year. Anything with leaves under 3-4 feet in hight, they'll eat.
I'll edit with a link to a picture for you to look at , that may give you some ideas.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2006, 08:55:19 PM by Reeves » Logged
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2006, 09:03:13 PM »

The above picture is of my Amherst and Valley Quail pen(s). The hutch is split down the center, and their run is 72 sq. ft. for each side. They have 20 sq. ft. in the hutch, for each pair. Built inside the L shape of the Pheasant pen. The Amherst pen is 576 sq. ft. There is only a trio in that pen.

In the Quail pens I have planted Red & Black Currants, and Dwarf Mugo Pine & Dwarf Globe Cedars.
In the Amherst pen I have a double row of Brandon Cedars, Caraganna, Cotton Easter. The grass is several types, along with clover.
The only weed free area at my place is in the pens. They clean them out first.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »