Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 04:23:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hope everyone had a great year.  Welcome to 2013.  Our monthly drawings will be starting back soon!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Posts as of late
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Posts as of late  (Read 3544 times)
magnumhntr
Expert Member

« on: June 18, 2006, 10:36:55 PM »

I've been noticing a lot of negative, and confrontational posts lately, from various members, some who in the past have been very helpful to me, and others on this site. Some that have been here a very long time, and some that have only been here a short while. I'm not pointing fingers, as those that have posted those comments know who they are. Considering that this is the busiest times for most of us with egg production, hatching, and flight birds, it seems maybe the everyday stresses are starting to wear on a few. I moderate some other boards out there, and would like to offer some advise to everyone....

We should all consider ourselves guests here. Most forums cost thier owners more money, time, and headache than they will ever make in return. The success of a forum and the positive contributions of its members is about the only positive return an owner can look forward to. It all goes back to the addage of if you don't have nothing nice to say, etc etc etc. Not that honesty isn't the best policy, but a good rule of thumb is, before you hit the post button, reread what you have written, and ask yourself if what you have put down is the best way to get your point accross without flaming, bashing, or making fun of someone.

Sure, there are some questions that come up over and over again. But most of these poeple who ask these frequent questions are new to this hobby/business, and not only are they potential customers, they are the future of the gamebirds breeders, keepers, and hobbyists. Those of us who have the answers should be trying our best to get them off on the right foot. Not to say we need to hold thier hands, but sometimes the sarcastic remarks get just as old and repetitious as the person who asks for the hundreth time this year what day do you stop turning this or that species of egg. It's downright rude the way some people treat the "newbies". We should all try our best to help each other out, not push people away with the holier than thou attitudes. I think it's time for everyone to take a step back, take a deep breath, and try and be a positive influence here. If not, then don't bother as all you do is bring everyone else down.

Chris Morehouse
www.mmgamebirds.com
Located in Southwest Michigan
pamike
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2006, 10:49:06 PM »

I have noticed some of the sarcasm as well. I have even written replies that were very rude and read it after typing, just to delete it. I will admit that typing it did help me calm down some even if I did not click the post button. In fact I think we all should do that once in a while, type what you really feel and delete it just to get it off you chest without huring anyone in the process. I admit I am not a pro at this, I guess I am more of a newbie but I try to help others when I can. I try to answer more of the easier questions and leave the more difficult ones to the pros. If it were not for your patience with me when I was doing my research, I would never have tried this. I now have 47 happy, healthy coturnix. I am hooked now and I feel I must keep feeding the addiction, lol. I am going to get into different breeds, just for the fun of it.

mike
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2006, 11:08:34 PM »

Well i guess we are more like quails then we know it.  :laugh:

"When a new or younger quail is introduced to the bunch...we are liable to fight, disagree."

But the difference is that we are "humans." We have the ability to adapt, work out our differences and get along. I think we have done that. And it's time to move on.;)
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2006, 11:28:37 PM »

I know I have made a few posts in fun.

But if I have posted ANYTHING that is offensive, I offer my deepest apology.

(been a bit cranky of late, work etc....)
gsc
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2006, 12:11:37 AM »

While I am not new to the hobby, I am relatively new to this forum.  I really enjoyed my first months here and joined in helping folks in many ways.  When the rudeness started I tried to turn it with some humor, as it got worse, I left and canceled my account with a couple of emails to Larry explaining my position.  I am now back, new id and starting from the bottom again.  It's good to see this self correcting and I hope it continues.  This is a unique and valuable tool for too many people to let it get out of hand.  Thanks, its good to back and enjoying the interchange.
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2006, 09:05:13 AM »

I know I have made a few posts in fun.

But if I have posted ANYTHING that is offensive, I offer my deepest apology.

Likewise.

I've been noticing a lot of negative, and confrontational posts lately, from various members, some who in the past have been very helpful to me, and others on this site. Some that have been here a very long time, and some that have only been here a short while. I'm not pointing fingers, as those that have posted those comments know who they are. Considering that this is the busiest times for most of us with egg production, hatching, and flight birds, it seems maybe the everyday stresses are starting to wear on a few. I moderate some other boards out there, and would like to offer some advise to everyone....

We should all consider ourselves guests here. Most forums cost thier owners more money, time, and headache than they will ever make in return. The success of a forum and the positive contributions of its members is about the only positive return an owner can look forward to. It all goes back to the addage of if you don't have nothing nice to say, etc etc etc. Not that honesty isn't the best policy, but a good rule of thumb is, before you hit the post button, reread what you have written, and ask yourself if what you have put down is the best way to get your point accross without flaming, bashing, or making fun of someone.

Sure, there are some questions that come up over and over again. But most of these poeple who ask these frequent questions are new to this hobby/business, and not only are they potential customers, they are the future of the gamebirds breeders, keepers, and hobbyists. Those of us who have the answers should be trying our best to get them off on the right foot. Not to say we need to hold thier hands, but sometimes the sarcastic remarks get just as old and repetitious as the person who asks for the hundreth time this year what day do you stop turning this or that species of egg. It's downright rude the way some people treat the "newbies". We should all try our best to help each other out, not push people away with the holier than thou attitudes. I think it's time for everyone to take a step back, take a deep breath, and try and be a positive influence here. If not, then don't bother as all you do is bring everyone else down.

I must say that forums take the personal touch out of communication and I think that some posts that are meant to be humorous sarcasm are interpreted by some as negative and confrontational, sure.........a few posts are rude, but alot are not meant to be and I don't think that there is an epidemic going on here.  Do you remember......"power"?........a wealth of knowledge, very straight forward and to the point.......he split the scene and took his posts with him. I know some whom are the best people a person could ever meet, yet are very rude in print.

Also, I'm not really sure as to what exactly you're talking about other than a young man whom stepped way out of line and this forum "self-moderated" him a couple of weeks ago. Although, I may be missing something as I do not read every post.

Thanks for your honest opinion nontheless!

Well i guess we are more like quails then we know it.  :laugh:

"When a new or younger quail is introduced to the bunch...we are liable to fight, disagree."

But the difference is that we are "humans." We have the ability to adapt, work out our differences and get along. I think we have done that. And it's time to move on.;)

Agreed

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
JohnInDixon
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2006, 10:21:36 AM »

I agree with everything said so far and would like to add this...
We've mentioned the person writing the post(s) to be careful, but now we need to address the reader too.  Don't take everything personal! Folks aren't specifically trying to annoy or hurt your feelings. I can think of one example recently that came immediately to mind about rednecks. Fortunately the 2 posters were able to realize it wasn't a personal dig, just maybe a poor choice of words and got it straightened out quickly, but it could have been explosive.  Again, as you read these posts give the writer a chance to explain him/herself offline maybe through a PM.

Hope everyone has a great week...

God Bless ya!
John
Britton Howe

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2006, 08:15:40 PM »

I agree with whats been said. seen a few questionable remarks that might affend some people. but over all this place is great.
pamike
Expert Member

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2006, 08:43:56 PM »

very well said john. That redneck comment was all my fault, I have learned from my mistake and I will use more caution when posting. I also agree that we should not take what is written to heart, It was probably not meant to be derogatory.

mike
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »