Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 03:29:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hope everyone had a great year.  Welcome to 2013.  Our monthly drawings will be starting back soon!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  new to quails
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: new to quails  (Read 2995 times)
amissmosely

« on: January 26, 2006, 10:00:09 AM »

hey everyone,

im looking for any advice you can give to me on incubating, brooding and keeping quail.

right now we do not have any, i want to be sure i know as much as i can before we get our eggs.

in the spring i plan on getting about 8 cortuniz or bobwhite eggs and one of those mini incubators.
we have a 90 gallon aquarium for them to brood in ( did i say that right?)

does any one have experience with this incubator?
we dont have alot of money for a real good one, and like i said we are just starting out so all those incubator plans on the net kind of intimidat me. :P
(also, i would be afraid i made it wrong and it would start a fire)

after we are comfortable with the cortuniz (not sure if im saying that right either!?) and bobwhites i would love to move on to buttons, i understand they are a real joy to have. :)

i would be sooo thankful for any info or advice you can give me, also if you could tell me where you get your critters from.

thank you so much,
amy

if any one has pics of their critters homes i woul love to see them!
magnumhntr
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2006, 11:56:53 AM »

First bit of advise I would give is to not waste the money on the little dome spaceship looking incubators, and invest in at least a Little Giant or Gqf styrofoam incubators. If you take care of them, they will last a long long time, and hatch thousands of eggs for you over the years. For around $100 you can get either one of those with forced air and a turner. Well worth the investment. If you don't mind a used one, you can find some great deals on ebay... sometimes even a new one going for a good price.

I don't know anything about the Brower Top Hatch incubator, but it is another economical one that others might chime in about as to it's true value.

2nd... get yourself a good quality set of thermometers.

I'm sure others will add some more good advise....

Chris Morehouse
www.mmgamebirds.com
Located in Southwest Michigan
jchiar
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2006, 03:10:07 PM »

read all the post's on that quail place and check out the home page a wealth of info on the site good luck
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2006, 03:16:21 PM »

I agree with magnumhntr. Do not waste money on the Chickabators. They will produce low hatch rates. I have one sitting here collecting dust. The price is half of the entry level GFQ or Lil Giant incubators. So may as well just invest in the entry level incubators.
If money is an issue, just get the entry level incubators. They are the still-air or forced-air type without egg turner. go for around $40-~$60 You can just turn egg manually.
And if you want to start with Buttonquails, they are as easily hatched and cared for as the Cortunix. ;)

I use a homemade incubator. Now tallying all the cost, I should have just got an entry level GFQ incubator. But I enjoyed the learning. Here is my incubator if you want to try. read down for the complet upgrade i did. Hav fun.
http://www.thatquailplace.com/smf/index.php?topic=1643.0
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »