Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2024, 03:52:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hope everyone had a great year.  Welcome to 2013.  Our monthly drawings will be starting back soon!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  taking birds to sale
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: taking birds to sale  (Read 12030 times)
Bird Brained
Expert Member

« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2008, 09:13:01 AM »

Closest bird sale I've seen come close to being clean was one a guy tried to get started at the fairgrounds and required every person that bought a space to show their NPIP papers or they didn't get in.

Needless to say, only a few could produce papers so the whole thing was a flop.

I thought it was a good attempt to run a "clean" one, but how else could one control the disease spread at a sale barn, auction, sale given no one seems to have the papers to back themselves up?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 09:15:31 AM by Bird Brained » Logged
jaime7997
Expert Member

« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2008, 07:20:59 PM »

I guess you just can't. It's a craps shoot. Only other plan i know is if any of you are interested in some bobs! They're good and healthy!! I do know that! Seriously, though, if anyone is interested, let me know. I have to sell some somehow....
birddog
Expert Member

« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2008, 08:31:26 PM »

Closest bird sale I've seen come close to being clean was one a guy tried to get started at the fairgrounds and required every person that bought a space to show their NPIP papers or they didn't get in.

Needless to say, only a few could produce papers so the whole thing was a flop.

I thought it was a good attempt to run a "clean" one, but how else could one control the disease spread at a sale barn, auction, sale given no one seems to have the papers to back themselves up?
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               we do not have poultry auctions around here that I know of  but at the shows and fairs all exhibitors must show there testing paperwork before the birds can be shown.

raising and breeding ringneck pheasants , bobwhite quail and English setters.  also have   turkeys, chickens, geese and pigs.. lions tigers bears oh my
Dorothy

« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2008, 01:44:34 PM »

In the past I have visited some auctions. One of them did have a USDA rep there and it seemed to be well run. But others have looked pretty bad like people have been saying here. A lot of the birds I've seen at the sales looked chewed up by lice or maybe they were injured from the trauma of it all. Never bought any myself because of the concern about disease. I know of one guy who lost his whole flock after visiting an auction. He never knew why. Could be that he tracked some disease back to his farm on his shoes or something.
frank_lap_127
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2008, 03:02:26 PM »

I like the kind of auctions where you need to show health papers, I don't think that kind of practice exist in canadian auctions and I'm even not sure that there is anything like NPIP in Canada, unfortunately... I would be one of the first to pay for it, even if I'm proud of my installations, once you get a paper of that kind you are sure it's clean, I think...

Frank
jaime7997
Expert Member

« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2008, 09:25:02 PM »

For a lot of the animals there, you do have to have health papers i think... Birds, not that I know of. It is monitored by the USDA and ODNR... The officers are milling around there continuously.
GSP4

« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2008, 08:21:40 AM »

jaime7997 you could try what we did, go to hunting forms and post some you can post the add for free a lot of guys are training dogs now and looking for birds. also do a search for free classifieds our state has 1 maybe yours has 1 too.
jaime7997
Expert Member

« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2008, 03:07:11 PM »

Here's a link to the flyer for the sale, if anyone is interested....
http://www.mthopeauction.com/files/exoticfall08f.pdf
brokenantleracres

172" w/28 1/2" inside spread 16pointer

« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2008, 04:06:23 PM »

Well Jaime Did You have any Luck? Did You get rich?

licensed Game Breeder In the State Of Iowa
jaime7997
Expert Member

« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2008, 12:43:54 AM »

Well... Definitely did not get rich! I kinda got screwed withthe whole deal really... Chance I took... I got there around 8am and got them checked in, they got their health papers and testing done, all ok there... Sale had just started. Waited, waited, waited... They still hadn't sold at 3pm. And they had moved on to different areas of the sale by then. They would come back and finish the rest of the birds like mine later... Not looking good. So, we left, I called at 6:30 and they still hadn't sold. Finally got sold at around 9pm I hear (from a friend that was still there). So, needless to say, I only got $2-2.50 per bird... everyone had left by then. My birds were probably the best looking ones there, timing was just not good. Live and learn...
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2008, 07:12:35 AM »

jaime7997,

Did you have to pay to play?

I called at 6:30 and they still hadn't sold. Finally got sold at around 9pm I hear (from a friend that was still there). So, needless to say, I only got $2-2.50 per bird... everyone had left by then. My birds were probably the best looking ones there, timing was just not good. Live and learn...

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
jaime7997
Expert Member

« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2008, 12:55:20 PM »

jaime7997,

Did you have to pay to play?

I called at 6:30 and they still hadn't sold. Finally got sold at around 9pm I hear (from a friend that was still there). So, needless to say, I only got $2-2.50 per bird... everyone had left by then. My birds were probably the best looking ones there, timing was just not good. Live and learn...

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Call me dumb, but I'm not sure what you mean.... Yeah, I lost my  s80 on the deal... If that's what you mean!
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #42 on: September 30, 2008, 07:11:27 PM »

Jaime,

What I ment was, did you have to pay for your area to sell..

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
« previous next »