Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 09:08:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
TQP Forum has a new look!  Let us know what you think!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Missing egg Mystery
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Missing egg Mystery  (Read 4791 times)
coveyrun
« on: May 11, 2004, 08:50:54 PM »

Here's one for you detective type people.
I checked by egg laying battery at noon today, it had about 14 eggs in it. At 5:00 I came home from work and went to gather eggs, expecting about 22-23 eggs and nary a one. There was no egg shells laying around, no foot-prints, no evidence whatsoever.  I did leave the door open so that more light would get in.  What the heck happened to them? The only stray animals I see around here is some stray cats.  My bird building is beside my dog kennel. I have never seen a coon or weasle or possum and any small fir bearer in my yard.
So whats up Sherlock? Tim
Quail Fanatic
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2004, 09:35:46 PM »

How well do you know your neighbors?
or how well are they gettin to know your birds?
I would think something wild/traumatic would set off their laying a bit the next day? if it was just another human they probably would not think twice and keep on laying normally.
if it happens again you might want to wire up your camcorder to your vcr with a longplay tape and "see" who the culprit might be?
That is if you have access to these items?
my thoughts
qf out
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2004, 09:49:22 PM »

Yup, sounds like the feared predator : Hominid . Leave a note in the nest boxes telling the bi-ped that they are on video tape now !
cajunquailman
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2004, 11:58:30 PM »

I've had trouble with snakes in the past.  Could a snake be the culpit??  :?:  :?:
coveyrun
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2004, 12:11:22 AM »

The birds are in a stackable breeder battery, we only have garden snakes here and I don't think a snake could climb this 6 foot high caging system.
I'm wondering if a magpie got in there, but could he eat 23 eggs? Tim
duck nutt
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2004, 04:58:29 PM »

20+ eggs is a lot of eating for a snake.....i'd put my money on somebody nabbibng a few also....
coveyrun
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2004, 06:51:09 PM »

I live on the edge of town and no-one lives real close to me, today all the eggs were there. Tim
coveyrun
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2004, 11:57:37 AM »

We found the egg theif, it was a Magpie that nests in our yard. My boys put an egg shell on the back porch and came into the house and within a few minutes  the magpie flew down and grabed it and flew away.  Next day I went up into the bard and spread flour around on the the floor next to the egg battery and by a small opening in the door and sure enough the next day I came in and there were bird foot prints all over in it and even some wing marks where you could see that she took to flight to grab the eggs.
MYSTERY SOLVED!!!!!
duck nutt
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2004, 11:58:56 AM »

magpie for dinner!
IamTomm
Expert Member

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2004, 04:52:56 PM »

I am thinking the same thing as coveyrun.  Could even be crows or other type of birds .  I don't think it was a snake. To many people think snakes are stealing thier eggs but not many realize that thier are only a few type of egg eating snakes and they only eat an egg here and thier. They dont eat every day. Ussualy ever couple of days they will eat.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »