Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:35:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Thank you for making us one of the highest ranking gamebird sites on the internet!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Brooding and Raising
| | |-+  plucking and eating the feathers
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: plucking and eating the feathers  (Read 4466 times)
J Thompson

Personal Text

« on: October 08, 2009, 06:38:37 PM »

My R/N Pheasants are plucking feathers from each other and eating them, why are they doing this? The males have peepers on them and females don't. I'm feeding them a 23% breeder pellet mixed with scratch grain and then once a week I add oyster shell for extra calcium and grit. Does anybody have some info for me? dk2     c29   dh1

Jeremy
jimmurray3
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2009, 09:14:42 PM »

Jeremy, What size pen do you have them in?????
J Thompson

Personal Text

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 08:58:11 PM »

jimmy , they are in a 10 X 20 as of now later on it will be 10 X 50 when I,ve got time. Just started a shut down working 6-10's.

Jeremy
Little Bear Game Farm
Expert Member

Kick 'Em Up - Knock 'Em Down

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2009, 06:28:02 AM »

How old are your birds?  I run a 30% starter until 9 weeks when they get their adult feathers and then step them down to a 23% starter over a couple weeks.   If you are mixing the 23% with scratch grain, what is the actaul % protein of the blend?  It could be getting too low which could lead to pecking to get the protein from the feathers.

Chukar and Pheasant Propogation - Trust my advice based on the knowledge that I have not been doing this very long and don't know a lot more than I do know...  But at least I know that I don't know
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2009, 05:20:17 PM »

How old and how many do you have in that 10x20?

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
J Thompson

Personal Text

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2009, 10:30:14 AM »

First I should tell you that I bought these birds from Jim Murray and they were very healthy birds, some didn't have tail feathers from going through a molt, he had them in a pen that was app. 16 X 25. P.S. Jim has a very nice set up and very healthy birds. These birds are from 09 hatch and are adults, I feed them a 22 % layer pellet with a occasional scratch grain with oyster shell for a variety in there diet. There is about 35 birds in my pen. 23 hens and 12 roosters , the roosters all all have peepers on them.

I also have another question, do they need roosting poles in the pen, I've noticed the birds roosting on a 2x4 cross brace in the pen which might accommodate 5 or 6 birds.
CaliPheasantGuy

Personal Text

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2009, 01:58:37 PM »

is that pen big enough for thirty five birds? following the 25 sq ft rule?
Little Bear Game Farm
Expert Member

Kick 'Em Up - Knock 'Em Down

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2009, 06:06:53 PM »

I do wish I had Jim's pens and I'm hoping next year to get some chukar pens built based on his design. 

Your pen is half the size of his so that may lead to some overcrowding based on the space they were used to.  Also, putting them in a new environment could lead to some behaviors that were not there previously.

I've been thinking about roosting poles in my pen, also.  Right now I have a bunch of pine trees that I had cut down to 6' height to build the pen.  They sleep there every night but not quite enough space for all of them.

Chukar and Pheasant Propogation - Trust my advice based on the knowledge that I have not been doing this very long and don't know a lot more than I do know...  But at least I know that I don't know
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2009, 09:20:04 PM »

On the ground?

Although I'm not a pheasant guy, I'd place my bet on overcrowding for sure.   25 BW's will keep a ground pen that size covered with manure and stripped to the bare dirt.

mkey1

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
jimmurray3
Expert Member

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2009, 10:40:38 PM »

Jeremy, Soon as you have time make that pen bigger bet your problems go away.  ty2 Jim
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »