Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:12:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
TQP Forum has a new look!  Let us know what you think!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Supplier Feedback
| | |-+  Another post office rant - egg damage
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Another post office rant - egg damage  (Read 9551 times)
magnumhntr
Expert Member

« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2006, 05:48:18 AM »

Thanks. When I was trying to figure out ways to protect the eggs better during shipment, my wife and I would put the test boxes together with eggs in them, and take the box outside and play soccer with it. Then I let the dog have her way with it for a minute or two, and finally I put it in the back of my utility trailer and went about 90 down a washboard dirt road for a few miles. This was the only design I had that passed that test, and it passed 5 out of 5 times. The only test it didn't pass was being dropped out of a 3 story window, and that resulted in 3 broken eggs out of 36 pheasant, and 5 out of 100 quail eggs. Still haven't come up with anything that'll survive the 3 story drop test yet, lol!

Chris Morehouse
www.mmgamebirds.com
Located in Southwest Michigan
drwink
Expert Member

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2006, 11:49:00 AM »

Chris, you Da Man !
Thanks for the picture tour. I won't use the small boxes anymore.
Of course I'll have to allow myself additional time for packaging.

Wally

Birddogs, homegrown Tomatoes & the Blues
To me, it dosen't get any better than that

DW Farm & Kennel
magnumhntr
Expert Member

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2006, 02:29:28 PM »

What I did is make myself a jig for cutting the boxes. Seeing as I'm shipping about 30 shipments a week, I just take a hour or so sunday night and cut 50 boxes up so they are ready to go. My jig is set up so I can cut the 12 X 12 shelves, 7 X 7 shelves, and another divider I've come up with for using 1/2 a sheet of foam for smaller shipments like 25 quail eggs or 18 pheasant eggs. It is a little more time consuming, but it's worth it to me. I like happy customers, as anyone. And a happy customer is a repeat customer. And the boxes are free ;-)

After this last shipment of blue scale eggs I got, I think I'm going to start sending a box already made to people I buy from. I too am tired of spending good money and receiving ready made omlettes in the mail....

Chris Morehouse
www.mmgamebirds.com
Located in Southwest Michigan
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2007, 03:26:13 AM »

I haven't shipped eggs but I've been on the receiving end many times so I thought I add some egg packaging tips to this thread as feedback to shippers.

When using the plastic or cardboard egg holders, best result is to line the eggs with tissue, napkin, or simply toilet paper. This prevents the eggs from hitting each other during shipping. Once had a seller that used saw dust but  there were many bigger wood chips also that left dents and cracks in the eggs. So that was just as bad as not using anything.

If nothing is used to help keep the eggs secure, the results are fine hairline spiderweb cracks. Usually unnoticeable to the naked eyes unless candled. In hopes to salvage these eggs, I usually cover the cracks with some woodglue.

I don't have my good camera at the moment so sorry for the bad quality. Here is a picture of a little flashlight under one egg, among many others, that have these cracks from colliding with each other during shipping. Sorry it's hard to make out.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »