Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 03:31:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Thank you for making us one of the highest ranking gamebird sites on the internet!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Supplier Feedback
| | |-+  Lake Cumberland Game Farm.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Lake Cumberland Game Farm.  (Read 15202 times)
!BigHogLeg!
« on: May 03, 2004, 06:08:35 AM »

Hello,
   I ordered some of the Giant Coturnix from Lake Cumberland last year. I gotta say the eggs looked great and they were large. Well now here is the kicker. I just weighed all my birds that I hatched out from Lake Cumberland. I had not a single one that weighed more than 10 Ounces. I have been feeding them purina gamebird starter/grower since babies. I have always had feed available and fresh water changed out daily. This isn't too good for some birds that are supposed to get to 16 Ounces. Not a single bird more than 10 Ounces out of a houndred total. Now that's a ripoff.
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2004, 09:33:29 AM »

I have had good luck with eggs from Lake Cumberland......Good hatch rate, (even shipped in the dead of winter), good healthy birds, etc.  I can't comment on the weight of the birds, I have never weighed one. But I think that birds will vary even from the same supplier. There are alot of variables in the bird business I believe. I would not hesitate to order from them again.   Just my Opinion.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Arkansas Birdman
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2004, 12:52:23 AM »

I also have ordered these eggs from David. The 500 eggs arrived in great shape. Out of the 500 eggs, I had around 300 hatch. Which in January, that isn't to bad. Out of the 300 that hatched, I would say that I have about 6 - 8 birds that has reach the 14 oz. weight.
But, everyone muse be aware. Even if the birds are 16 oz. birds, the off spring of these birds, most of them will be regular size birds. I have worked with these birds for the past 12 years & I have ordered eggs from different breeders. You will not find these birds that will all get that big.
So, if you see that someone has 16 os. Pharoah quail, you need to be aware that they may have some breeders this big, but the off spring will not get this size 100%.
!BigHogLeg!
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2004, 04:44:01 AM »

Arkansas Birdman,
   Not one single bird over ten ounces. The average weight is eight ounces. If you ask me that's run of the mill if not worse. I didn't expect to see many sixteen ounce birds outta this hatch but heck I thought some sort of genetic breeding program was being practiced here. My Texas A&M's got these birds beat by a long shot and they were what I thought run of the mill. Almost all my A&M's are above twelve ounces and I have been just letting em do what they do, no breeding program. I am truly sadened by your reply because I thought these Giant Brown Coturnix birds were better developed than this. Thanks for your input, I know where to spend my money for this next batch now on A&M's. And oh yeh I agree. The eggs did look good and I did get a good hatch rate 50%. They would have been better used in a pickle jar for eating. I would have been way better off eating the eggs than hatching em.
scc
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2004, 09:50:55 PM »

If you are interested in BIG birds try ordering from Bear Bayou Quail Farm. His birds will really suprise you.
!BigHogLeg!
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2004, 11:55:00 PM »

scc,
   I have called him but he won't let me go see his barn wich is very understandable. Any reputable quail raiser won't let you possibly bring deseases in. Luckily I can pick em up at his front door. I have heard he has some of the original birds outta Texas A&M University. I'm just about to make an order when my cages get up and hangin in the barn and these will be some of the birds I will wan't. Bear Bayou will be one of the next places I get stock out of. Thank You for bringing it up.
power
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2004, 09:28:30 AM »

delet
Country Quail Boy FL
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2004, 11:07:37 PM »

I have a hard time believing that the offspring of the jumbo breeds will never be as large as the previous generation. If they were always smaller then how would the breeder keep large breeder birds to begin with? He wouldnt use the same breeders over more than a few years. If one generation was always smaller than the one before it then the breed would eventually become normal sized.
scc
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2004, 11:18:25 PM »

If you continue to breed with out selection and don't bring in new blood from time to time they will get smaller from after a while.
power
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2004, 08:59:27 AM »

delet
edozal
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2004, 08:41:49 PM »

I ORDERED EGGS EARLIER THIS YEAR FROM BEAR BAYOU, AND NOT ONLY DID I GET GREAT BIRDS, THEY ARE TRULY GIANT, BUT THE SERVICE THEY PROVIDE IS GREAT. MY EGGS WERE SHIPPED TO THE WRONG ADDRESS THE FIRST TIME THEY SENT THEM. AND I GOT A REPLACEMENT ALMOST IMMEDIATELY. BARBARA IS VERY HELPFULL, AND WILL GO OUT OUR HER WAY TO MAKE HER CUSTOMERS HAPPY. NEXT TIME I BUY EGGS, I WILL CERTAINLY ORDER FROM HER AGAIN. I VERY HIGHLY RECOMMEND THEM. BY THE WAY THE HATCHING RATE WAS 83 OUT OF 100.  :)
squirrelhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2005, 07:19:08 PM »

I ordered from lake cumberland and was disappointed to find genetically weak eggs and aggressive young.
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2006, 11:02:25 PM »

I just had another great experience with Lake Cumberland.

Thanks!

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
schultz
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2007, 11:22:53 AM »

I see that there were some posts deleted.
Any reason why? hmmmm
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2007, 08:48:37 AM »

I see that there were some posts deleted.
Any reason why? hmmmm

Well, it's an old long story. Although I will say that the reason they deleted their own posts had nothing to do with this topic, they deleted all of their posts on the forum.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »