Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2024, 10:58:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hope everyone had a great year.  Welcome to 2013.  Our monthly drawings will be starting back soon!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Build It Yourself
| | |-+  DIY Cabinet Incubator (Old Refrigerator)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: DIY Cabinet Incubator (Old Refrigerator)  (Read 51239 times)
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2008, 06:17:08 PM »

Quick Q:  Is the electronic thermostat from GQF supposed to cause my heat lamps to flicker?  My incubator will maintain the proper temp but the lamps are constantly flicking on and off.  Is that how this thermostat works? 

::)

Commercially built incubators are switching on and off constantly (quite a few times in a minute).

:grin:

« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 10:00:23 AM by CharlieHorse » Logged

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2008, 07:57:44 PM »

Hey, Chuck, We missed you (a little).

With that setup, you may burn out bulbs pretty fast.  I've always heard that the switching on, and off causes most of the "wear and tear" on the bulb.  Graingers has heat bar elements that are designed for the kind of switching encountered in an incubator.

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
Little Bear Game Farm
Expert Member

Kick 'Em Up - Knock 'Em Down

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2008, 09:03:15 PM »

Thanks guys! 

I'm going to run with the bulbs for now because I have eggs set in there and don't want to be screwing around rewiring for a half hour.  I'll definitely be switching when I get a chance.

And, this set up could get expensive....  My mom always told me it costs a nickel every time you turn the lights on :?:

Chukar and Pheasant Propogation - Trust my advice based on the knowledge that I have not been doing this very long and don't know a lot more than I do know...  But at least I know that I don't know
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2008, 10:39:14 PM »

And, this set up could get expensive....  My mom always told me it costs a nickel every time you turn the lights on :?:

That might be a consideration, also, I'm not sure.  I would think heat element(s) more than adequate to do the job, would use less energy, in the long run.  A one thousand watt element for a 3 cu. ft. incubator would not be efficient, of course.

CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2008, 09:58:33 AM »

I'd probably get an element from a GQF cabinet incubator and forget the bulbs all together.

Here's what I'd do:   http://www.cutlersupply.com/store/item.0759.html

We missed you (a little).

You're just so dog gone nice and sweet.    :-|

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2008, 12:09:04 PM »

You're just so dog gone nice and sweet.    :-|

But fickle, huh?

Little Bear Game Farm
Expert Member

Kick 'Em Up - Knock 'Em Down

« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2008, 08:27:53 PM »

Update on the incubator....

Works great, so far I'm at 55 hatched out of 121 set.  The old fridge has maintained temps between 99 and 100 the whole time.  Humidity around 60% but wow do I need an auto filler for that.  I had no idea how much water that would go through to maintain the proper humidity.

Here's a pic of the beginning of hatch.

Thanks for the help guys!

Chukar and Pheasant Propogation - Trust my advice based on the knowledge that I have not been doing this very long and don't know a lot more than I do know...  But at least I know that I don't know
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2008, 12:27:38 AM »

Auto-water is very nice, a guy can practically go on vacation.

Looks good...........but you better keep that door closed.

antonette93

Personal Text

« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2010, 10:44:24 PM »

I think you can also create a home made cabinet incubator for your eggs or what we call the old refrigerator. Like my father do, he personally made his incubator. Good luck!

My online refrigerators.
Slayton

Personal Text

« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2010, 09:24:00 PM »

Fantastic job.

I have been looking for a resonably built Homemade Incubator. I am looking for an old fridge right now. Thanks a ton for the post and updates. I am a DIY guy all the way.. Have you installed the heating element yet? If so how is it working?

Slayton
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »