Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 02, 2024, 04:09:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Thank you for making us one of the highest ranking gamebird sites on the internet!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Health Issues
| | |-+  EYE TROUBLE
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: EYE TROUBLE  (Read 3520 times)
komori35
« on: October 09, 2004, 01:41:16 PM »

one of my coturnix's eyes is having some mysterious trouble.  It's slightly swollen below the eye and the eye itself is rather watery.  Apparently it itches or is irritating to the bird, because he keeps scratching it with his foot.  i think it may be a plugged duct, which happens when the system that drains the eye gets a foreign object in it and, well, plugs up.  he cant see very well out of the afflicted eye, because it's watery and must be blurred.

i know all kinds of animals including humans can get plugged ducts; i think he got his because i have him on wood shvings and he's usually on wire.  a bit of wood dust must have gotten in his eye.  how do you treat this? or does it go away by itself?

-komori
blackswamp
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2004, 10:52:24 PM »

If you can keep ahold of him, you might try flushing the eye with a stream of saline solution, or even clean water.  But you will have to be cautious as to where/how you are pouring, or you may end up drowning him.

blackswamp
komori35
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2004, 06:03:49 PM »

saline solution...so maybe, the same sort of stuff you use for contacts (not aosept, but that all-purpose saline cleaning solution) or the stuff you use when your eyes dry out?

thanks,
-komori
casnyder
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2004, 09:35:38 PM »

Medical supplies will sell sterile saline solution reasonably cheap.

I would think that 1 part pickling salt (no idodine, no anti-caking checmicals, etc) to 19 parts water (ie 5%) could be boiled and allowed to return to room tempeprature to achieve the same effect.
komori35
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2004, 07:39:06 PM »

ok, will do.  thanks!

-komori
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »