Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 05:45:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Thank you for making us one of the highest ranking gamebird sites on the internet!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Health Issues
| | |-+  chukars losing feathers
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: chukars losing feathers  (Read 6838 times)
pinebowman

« on: February 14, 2009, 11:45:23 AM »

Even in this cold weather my birds seem to be losing their feathers.Could they be molting ?
They do not appear to be pecking each other
cv
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 04:09:34 PM »

how many do you have ?

is there adequate space per bird and protection from the elements ?

have you noticed any piling ?
Bird Brained
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 05:25:02 PM »

Refer to the answers provided to you last year when you asked...

http://www.thatquailplace.com/smf/index.php?topic=5071.0
slider
Expert Member

What do you mean I have to press 1 for english.

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 10:53:45 PM »

GREAT catch BIRD BRAINED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2009, 11:20:15 PM »

Bird Brained:

How did you do that?  Thought I had a good memory.  UB Mensa?

In all fairness, this may be something different.  What was the outcome/diagnosis last summer?

I doubt this is molting, but since we don't have a clue as to the location of these birds, who knows?

Why does it "seem" they are losing feathers?  Bare backs?  Feathers in cage/pen?

If they have lost feathers from all over their bodies, it could be from panic.  These birds are spastic.  In my oppinion, a much "wilder" species than Bobwhite, or Ringnecked Pheasant.  Even adult birds will over react to dogs, or 'coons at their pens, thunderstorms can cause hundreds in a pen to "commit suicide.

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
cv
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2009, 11:30:16 PM »

Bird Brained:

How did you do that?  Thought I had a good memory.  UB Mensa?

In all fairness, this may be something different.  What was the outcome/diagnosis last summer?

I doubt this is molting, but since we don't have a clue as to the location of these birds, who knows?

Why does it "seem" they are losing feathers?  Bare backs?  Feathers in cage/pen?

If they have lost feathers from all over their bodies, it could be from panic.  These birds are spastic.  In my oppinion, a much "wilder" species than Bobwhite, or Ringnecked Pheasant.  Even adult birds will over react to dogs, or 'coons at their pens, thunderstorms can cause hundreds in a pen to "commit suicide.

Leaving the great catch aside  for a moment --- I wondered something similar .. GO ! wilder GO !

« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 11:40:36 PM by cv » Logged
Bird Brained
Expert Member

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2009, 06:09:24 AM »

Alright, but there's no need to throw darts at this.  At this point (second time now mind you), this is no different than me emailing my doctor and only saying that I'm sick and for him to diagnose what I have and write me a presciption without seeing me or knowing any specific details...

Pinebowman:

1) Post a picture or few of your pen that has the birds in it.
2) Post a picture a bird in that pen with the symptoms
3) Tell us what you feed them.
4) Is the feed available all the time or only at feeding time?
5) Same for water
6) Age of birds?  Were the birds hatched and brooded together or mixed together after brooding?
7) Have you debeaked them already?  What method if so?
8) What part of the country are the birds located?  What has the weather since these symptoms started showing up?
9) Has there been any incident with an unwelcomed intruder(s) recently visiting the pen?  If so, expalin in detail.
10) How many birds did you start with in that pen.  How many are in it now?
11) What is the dimensions of the pen?
12) What did you do last year in an attempt(s) to solve this problem?  Did it/they work?

This will get us started on the right path to working on the problem, but until we are provided these details I cannot begin to help at all.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 06:11:09 AM by Bird Brained » Logged
pinebowman

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2009, 08:32:51 AM »

this is not like last time,the feathers are falling out and they look bad.they have plenty of room,food and shelter.I give them fresh greens.
Bird Brained
Expert Member

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2009, 09:19:45 AM »

Still can't help unless I know more. 

If you feel like answering some questions and providing some pictures we can get started.

If not, Below is the answer and don't question how I arrived at it...

Answer:   Someone is sneaking in the cage while you aren't home and pulling all the feathers out of the birds.
labmancan
Expert Member

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2009, 08:45:17 AM »

Maybe, his neighbor ties flies.
Like you have stated, without more info ........?

Manchurian x, Ring Neck, Silver, Lady Amherst, Red Golden,Yellow Golden, Impeyens, Swinhoe, Humes Bartailed Pheasants, Chukkar Partridge and Ringnecked Doves!
bobhunter

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2009, 09:54:14 AM »

Yea, you haven't provide much information to go on. What is the age of the birds, what is the pen set up like (including the floor surface and sanitary conditions), about how many birds per square foot, what else besides greens is in the diet, etc.?
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »