Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 08:12:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Buy & Sell Gamebirds online!
Click Here for TQP Auction & Ads
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Health Issues
| | |-+  Worming Quail
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Worming Quail  (Read 7495 times)
fishman

« on: May 19, 2004, 05:45:28 PM »

I know this was probably on the old site but I can't find any info on it. Do Quails need to be wormed? :roll: If so how often do you do it and what is the best product to use? Thanks !!  :D
pgbirdman
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2004, 12:42:36 AM »

Sorry I can't help but I was going to post the same question.  Do Quail need to be wormed?  With what?  How often?  Where can I get it?
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2004, 11:33:40 AM »

I worm my quail with "Wazine 17". I get mine at Tractor Supply. From what I've read on this forum is that it is more crucial for ground raised birds than wire raised birds, because of their exposure to their droppings and such. The instructions on the bottle say to repeat every 30 days. It is in a liquid form and you just mix it with their water. I'm sure that there are other brands and it should also be availible thru most poultry supply outfits.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
pgbirdman
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2004, 03:44:40 PM »

I know this is a Quail site, but was wondering if the worming thing applies to chickens as well?
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2004, 05:33:47 PM »

Quote from: pgbirdman
I know this is a Quail site, but was wondering if the worming thing applies to chickens as well?

I haven't raised chickens for about 20 years, but when I did, I never did anything with them and never had any problems. This "Wazine 17" that I mentioned earlier has instructions on it for chickens and turkeys. It does not mention quail or any other bird for that matter. I use the doses recommended for turkey. I'm sure that worming chickens surely couldn't hurt any......only help.  I know that if I were to raise chickens now that I would probably worm them also.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
duck nutt
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2004, 10:53:17 AM »

i use diatomceous earth in my pens .aka  DE  ...you have to get the food grade to use on teh animals....they dust with it and eat it....it's made of microscopic fossilized algae...it's like powdered glass..but the food grade won't hurt animals..just don't stick your head in teh bad and start sniffing a lot of it up....it works by slicing thru the bugs protective coverings....then the glass shards act as wicks and dehydrate the insects...if a cow is given DE in it's feed, maggots/worms can't grow in it's manure...it's a good wormer too...BUT, make sure it's says FOOD GRADE before feeding to livestock...it's a powdery substance....lemme get a site link so you can read more.......try this site... http://www.hydromall.com/happy_grower16.html
quailacres
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2004, 08:33:51 PM »

I think that the reason you don't see much about worming quail on this site is that there are few, if any, worming medications that are approved specifically for quail. You mentioned chickens. In my opinion, when worming poultry you want to do it well ahead of, or after, the laying season. I would personally say to follow directions on the bottle and for the type of bird indicated on the bottle unless otherwise prescribed by a veterinarian. :D
Fivehollers
Expert Member

Miss Hannah Mae Pike

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2004, 09:21:17 AM »

:shock: How do  you know if your quail need wormed? Or is this just a common practice, because I have never heard such a thing. :?:

Five Hollers Quail Farm
pgbirdman
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2004, 03:04:34 AM »

Its new to me as well.  Apparantly birds raised on the ground should be wormed once every 8 months or so.  I went to the vet here and he explained that it was unlikely they get them, but worth doing in case they do have them.  Said birds are healthier, heal faster when injured and of course if your eating them or the eggs its a good idea.  I found some stuff from the vet that actually says: Poultry, Pheasants and Gamebirds.  This stuff is in Canada only, but the vet said it would be available in the US with an American company.  All the feed stores I went to thought I was off my rocker when I asked about it.  The vet knew right away!  It was only $16.00 (CDN) and treats 1500 birds.
Fivehollers
Expert Member

Miss Hannah Mae Pike

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2005, 07:48:13 AM »

We were told by the vet to use Levasole or Tramasole, it is a pig wormer, but very effective for quail as well.

Lori Pike  :D

Five Hollers Quail Farm
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »