Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 04:20:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Buy & Sell Gamebirds online!
Click Here for TQP Auction & Ads
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Health Issues
| | |-+  HELP! Bobs hatching then die
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: HELP! Bobs hatching then die  (Read 8135 times)
honda2hummer
« on: July 05, 2006, 08:20:08 PM »

I am having a big problem, my bobwhite quails were supposed to hatch two days ago, well yesterday you could see they were peeking alittle but not much, still the same today, one came out today and looks like insides were on the outside of his tummy, lived for a few minutes then died. What is happening? Does it normally take a few days for them to come out totally. I always thought when they started to Peck the egg that was it they wouldn't stop until finished, but they are not trying that much. Are they all going to die? Tomorrow will be three days over due. Help I don't know what is going on!!!!!
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2006, 08:52:23 PM »

There could be several different reasons or maybe a combination of. What's your humidity level and temp? Still air or forced air?

Look here and see if this helps you any:

http://www.thatquailplace.com/raising/eggchart.htm   

and/or:

http://www.thatquailplace.com/raising/humidity.htm

and:

http://www.homestead.com/shilala/Howlongtohatch.html
« Last Edit: July 05, 2006, 09:04:59 PM by trailbossusa » Logged

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
honda2hummer
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2006, 09:10:23 PM »

still alittle confused i don't have anything to tell me what my humidity is, lillt giant, i just fill
the trays up with water and try to keep the right temp,
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2006, 09:33:50 PM »

First of all, you need something to measure the humidity level during the entire incubation process.  Humidity changes with the weather, etc. Just putting water in the trays just doesn't get it, it should be about 80% for hatching and 70% for incubating. Now are they hatching and then dying, or did you just have that one hatch and then die? Opening and closing the incubator especially during the hatching stages is not good either. It usually only takes a few minutes if everything is right for them to open up the end of the egg and be out. My experience is that when they start and don't finish fairly soon, then they're in trouble (unless I help them after I've determined they don't have a chance otherwise, and that's not always good either). I have had some hatch up to 4 days past the due date, but the majority usually hatch on schedule, in my case this is usually caused by variations inside my incubator during incubation.

And what are you calling "peeking"?  Are they starting to open up the end of the egg or just a little peck spot?

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
honda2hummer
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2006, 09:47:21 PM »

just a few little peck spots. the other one that hatched died a few minutes later something big and yellow was connected to his stomach
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2006, 09:54:41 PM »

I don't have an answer for the one that hatched, I've always been a fortunate hatcher.  Maybe some others with more experience in having problems will chime in.
My guess would be that you're temp was too low during incubation and your hatch will be delayed, don't give up yet, provided they were good fertile eggs to start with and incubation conditions were within limits. When they start to peep the end of egg open and then stop for an extended period.....that's when to get concerned. The small peep you speak of is normal.   Keep the lid closed,humidity up, temp correct, and your fingers crossed.

You never did mention as to whether it was still air or circulated?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2006, 09:58:09 PM by trailbossusa » Logged

gsc
Expert Member

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2006, 11:39:49 PM »

The yellow is probably the yolk which hasn't been absorbed into the chick yet.  Just before hatching, if all is well, the rest of the yolk is absorbed through the placenta into the chick to give them food and water for the first couple of days.  It sounds like they are not fully developed and that is probably unstable temperature.  It probably tended to too low, but I would guess it also spiked at time during Incubation wrecking havoc with the process.  I use little giant incubators and you can monitor the humidity with either a wet bulb thermometer or a hygrometer.  WalMart sells a digital meter that a lot of people use and have good success.  While not as accurate as using a wet bulb, it is miles better than nothing.  They also come with interior/exterior temperature and will record minimum and maximum temperatures which are very useful to know what the trends are when you are not around.
honda2hummer
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2006, 09:54:34 AM »

still no chicks this morning, i have a few that are making alittle progress, but still none are out, not even close. I have a still air little giant.  I am getting so discouraged with these eggs, I forgot to ask, they have these litttle red plugs on top of  the incubator, they say to open them for the quails to have more air, is this true and if it is when do I do this.
honda2hummer
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2006, 10:00:46 AM »

another thing, anyone know where i can get baby quails for sale?
honda2hummer
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2006, 12:02:07 PM »

i am a murderer. one was making alot of noise and looked like it was struggling to get out, it stop making for awhile, so i helped it out and i killed it, but the good news is that the yolk was alot totally in, I can't believe i did this.
TopKnot

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2006, 12:52:36 PM »

I had a similar problem with a batch of Gamble's eggs earlier.  Since I had a thermostat I knew the temp was okay based on the steady thermometer reading but I had a cheap hydrometer so I think I kept the humidity lower than I should have.  I also read where the desert quail species typically liked lower humidity so I think I was overthinking it, although I should say I followed the instructions regarding keeping the water level full in one of the ports at all times.  It just goes to show the importance of a good hydrometer.  As someone above mentioned, the yolk sac is what you saw on the chicks.  I ended up misting the eggs lightly with warm water 3x a day and I had chicks popping out like popcorn by the next day.  The red plug on top is used to lower the humidity but it sounds like your humidity is too low so leave the plug in.  Sometime the incubator tops will get heavy with condensation on the window  - that would be the time to try opening the plug.  Good luck, don't give up hope yet.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2006, 12:59:36 PM by TopKnot » Logged
honda2hummer
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2006, 06:19:06 PM »

thank ya'll so much!!! I was so in the dumps. I just got back from the doctor and i came home to 17 bouncy chicks so far. I am so excited. Ya'll really helped out alot thanks so much. I will keep ya'll posted.
Heather
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2006, 12:14:54 AM »

i am a murderer. one was making alot of noise and looked like it was struggling to get out, it stop making for awhile, so i helped it out and i killed it, but the good news is that the yolk was alot totally in, I can't believe i did this.

That's why I stated this earlier:

"My experience is that when they start and don't finish fairly soon, then they're in trouble (unless I help them after I've determined they don't have a chance otherwise, and that's not always good either). "

Meaning that usually if they need help getting out, they're going to need help living. For some reason most of mine that can't get out on there own have some sort of birth defect such as straddle leg, curled up feet, head turned around backwards, etc. Although some of mine have survived alright, but most are defective and I have to cull them anyway. I never help unless I'm certain that they are doomed otherwise. I think that it's only natural to try to help 'em out. The more I do this though, the less that I bother trying to help, I just let nature take its coarse. I'd guess that those whom raise birds on a big scale might think that one would be crazy for taking the time to help them out, and I don't blame them, if they did that.......that's probably all they'd get done!

Glad to hear your good news.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2006, 12:18:56 AM by trailbossusa » Logged

honda2hummer
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2006, 04:37:04 PM »

just wanted to keep everyone that helped me out updated about my bobs.
As of a fews days ago with all ya'll help I am a proud momma of 33 healthy bobwhite
quails. I am so excited and can't wait for new batches of eggs to hatch.
I don't think I could ever get tired of watching them hatch and grow.
This is wonderful. I should have started a long time ago.
Thanks to everyone!!!
bgsbirds

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2006, 12:38:14 AM »

get a turbo fan for your incubator.  i used 5 or 6 hovabators the last couple years with good results,  the fan will even out the temp and also suck air in from the holes in the incubator to give the chicks plenty of oxygen.  i rarly pulled the plugs unless moisture was forming on the windows.  i also kept both trays filled with water at all times - from day one.  most problems though are caused by too much humidity and especially with the still air, not enough oxygen, too high humidity won't be a problem if you don't have water on the windows.  very few of the thermometers they come with are accurate but if you set it and they hatch out on time the don't mess with the controls,  if a little late or early then adjust the controls.  i mark my thermometer with a pencil line where it seems to work best and if i have to reset the incubator i go by the mark not the temp.  i have ran the incubators all year without fumigating or cleaning except what shells etc that can be wiped out.  most of the time i had eggs hatching at different times as well as different species.  warning!!  large eggs such as duck and goose create excess heat when hatching so if setting with other eggs,  these should be the last to hatch or the extra heat could kill the embryos of the other eggs.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »