Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 04:25:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Adding Pictures to your message is EASY! 
While creating a topic, click on ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and then the Browse
button. Select a picture file from your computer and your done!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Health Issues
| | |-+  HELP! Week old bobwhite quail chicks dying.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: HELP! Week old bobwhite quail chicks dying.  (Read 3608 times)
daniellec
« on: May 15, 2005, 04:37:28 PM »

This is the first time I've raised quail. They incubated longer than 23 days, hatched over 3 days and have been active and healthy for the past week.

Wednesday one small chick with pasty butt died. Today, I've had 4 apparently healthy chicks die. Two changes I've made in past several days: turned heat down by 5 degrees to hover between 85 and 90 and gave them water with *very* dilute vitamin and electrolyte mixture. Stopped giving that today.

Have been brooding them in large plastic tupperware with pine shavings covered by rubber shelf liner to prevent picking at shavings. Mat cleaned each morning and given fresh food and water. Mat soaked in dilute bleach solution and rinsed off under hose with fresh water. Pulled mat out after 3rd chick died in case some fumes were problem--still lost another after.

They've been eating and drinking well--have seen them do both today. Thought perhaps first three chicks were smothered but have turned the heat back up to be in mid 90s and last one died not under the light. Brooder is long with light on one end and cool on the other.

Please help.

Thanks!

Danielle
RedOakGamebirds
Administrator
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2005, 07:34:54 PM »

What kind of feed are you using?  We used the plastic tubs from Wal-Mart in the past with no problems and still do when our brooders are full.  Only exception is that we do not use any shavings on the bottom.  Be sure its not too fine so the birds arent pecking it and eating it.  Also look at your heat closely too.  At one week we have our brooders set at 95 degrees.  A temperature of 85 might be a little low.  Are they together or spread out?  You can also add a little bit of sugar to the water for a week or two as that helps some.  When we take our birds out of the incubator we brood them at 100 degrees for about 3-4 days then drop the temp to 95 degrees and 5 degrees each week after that.  Make sure you dont have any drafts near your brooder too.

Larry

We manufacture egg shipping foam!
Pollorum/Typhoid/Avian Free
NPIP 52-186
Member NAGA and Virginia Game Bird Asociation
daniellec
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2005, 07:56:12 PM »

Thanks so much for responding. Temp you describe was pretty much what I did--95-100 first couple of days out of incubator, then trying to hit 95 the past week, then lower it to around 90 or so (I have a temp differential of about 5 degrees, pretty big, I know).

The shavings were pretty securely under the mat; I don't think they were eating them. But they've definitely been pecking at the poop. Feed is finely ground Purina Mills Chick starter.

I've lost another since last post, so I'm guessing it's gotta be disease of some sort.

An important bit I left out of last post: we're selling our home and it's been shown several times in the last four days. Although I posted a sign explaining the 4-H quail project and requesting a do not disturb, I have no way of knowing what's been done or who has been through.

I also have chickens and recently visited a friend's farmette, though she's not experiencing any deaths and has chicks and turkeys brooding as well. Chances are pretty slim that it's anything from that front.

I guess at this point, I'm suspecting over-crowding and possibly too low temperatures over-stressing the birds and causing them to be susceptible to something. What, I don't know. They literally seem fine one minute and drop dead within the hour. :cry:

--danielle
RedOakGamebirds
Administrator
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2005, 08:43:10 PM »

It's not necessarily a disease but its always a possibility.  Try taking out the shavings and leave them on the rubber mat itself.  You said overcrowding a possibility.  How many birds do you have in the container and how large is the container.  Also what protein chick starter are you using?  Some chick starter is formulated for chickens, ducks, etc and therefore does not have the required protein quail need at this age.  If the protein is not suitable that could play a small role in your problem.  Game bird starter or Turkey starter works great.  

Larry

We manufacture egg shipping foam!
Pollorum/Typhoid/Avian Free
NPIP 52-186
Member NAGA and Virginia Game Bird Asociation
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »