Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 03:29:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
TQP Forum has a new look!  Let us know what you think!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Health Issues
| | |-+  missing beek
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: missing beek  (Read 3936 times)
steve30947

« on: April 02, 2005, 11:26:33 PM »

i have a button quail that it's beek has fallen of. it's about 4 weeks old. does anyone have any insight about this. why, what can i do.
faro

« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2005, 11:58:55 PM »

Hi Steve,
  Sorry to hear about your quail! The fact is...that there is nothing you can do except to cull him. If most of the beak is missing, then the bird cannot eat or drink, and will starve to death.

As to why it happened, I can only speculate, that other chicks pecked it off!
That is about the only way a beak can "fall" off.

You need to check your other chicks for signs of pecking, and remove any that have injuries.

Cannabilism is common among quail chicks, some causes are over-crowding and over-heating.

Thin out your chicks, and use red or blue lights to keep the pecking under control.

Good Luck!
steve30947

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2005, 08:53:28 PM »

thanks for the reply.

this in only happning with the button quail. i also have bobwhite mixed with them. this has only started in the past 3 days when i gave them more room. i also have my pen setup that they have plenty of room to regulate there temp.

thanks again
            steve
faro

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2005, 09:05:57 PM »

Hi Steve,
  If you are sure they have enough space, then try adding things like greens to the pen, to give them something else to peck at.

Also, make sure the chicks always have plenty of feed. If they run out of food, even for a short period of time, they do tend to pick on each other.
CHARLIE

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2005, 09:59:03 AM »

STEVE
YOU HIT THE NAIL RIGHT ON THE HEAD WHEN YOU SAID YOU ALSO HAD SOME BOBWHITES IT WITH THEM, THAT IS YOUR PROBLEM I FEEL SURE. I LEFT SOME LITTLE CHUKARS IN WITH SOME BOB CHICKS AND THEY HAD TO BE CULLED AS THEY TOO HAD THE BEEKS PICKED ALMOST OFF . BOBWHITES CAN BE VERY MEAN AT ANY STAGE OF LIFE.
                               CHARLIE
                               BACKYARD GAMEBIRD FARM
                                DELAWARE

WAS A ADVANCED MEMBER IN THE OLD FORUM
steve30947

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2005, 03:56:50 PM »

thank you  for the reply i'm going to remove them tonight and hopefuly that will do the trick.
Jilly
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2005, 03:09:42 PM »

I  had some button quail that all of a sudden had bloody beaks.  I too had bobwhites in with them but didn't know who the culprit was.
NOW I know!.
Charlie, these were the babies from your oranges.  Your orange bob's are really laying now.
Jill
quailacres
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2005, 03:13:07 PM »

I think I would agree with Charlie and Jilly. You may have a compatibility issue there!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »