Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:34:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Buy & Sell Gamebirds online!
Click Here for TQP Auction & Ads
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Hunting Gamebirds
| |-+  Bird Dog Topics
| | |-+  shy setter
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: shy setter  (Read 5493 times)
birddog
Expert Member

« on: July 10, 2010, 02:55:02 PM »

help. I have a 1 year old English setter female she has always been kind of a wimp. but recently is becoming horribly shy. when I approach her she will cower and roll over.when a stranger comes to the house and gets near her she will have a complete meltdown and run away actually screaming .  she is healthy not gun shy minds well. and plays with the other dogs normally.she has never been beaten or teased. she was present when her litter mates went home with there new owners that is the only thing I can think of. I have never had this problem before any insight would be appreciated .  thanks

raising and breeding ringneck pheasants , bobwhite quail and English setters.  also have   turkeys, chickens, geese and pigs.. lions tigers bears oh my
slider
Expert Member

What do you mean I have to press 1 for english.

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2010, 03:53:12 PM »

Bring her into the house and let everyone pet and play with her. Give her a treat when she does not do it when you or anyone else approaches her and no treat when she does it...It will take a few weeks to get her out of it..

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
birddog
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 11:38:29 PM »

thanks slider. she IS an indoor dog I am beginning to think she may be getting to much exposure to other people. possibly just an overload for her. I think I will start working just her for a while .possibly new places and seeing new people from the safety of the truck will calm her down.

raising and breeding ringneck pheasants , bobwhite quail and English setters.  also have   turkeys, chickens, geese and pigs.. lions tigers bears oh my
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »