Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 03:38:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hope everyone had a great year.  Welcome to 2013.  Our monthly drawings will be starting back soon!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Our Member's Section
| |-+  Off Topic Discussion and Current Event's
| | |-+  Off Topic, Anti-Virus Programs and OS systems
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Off Topic, Anti-Virus Programs and OS systems  (Read 3154 times)
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« on: June 20, 2008, 04:18:08 AM »

Anti-Virus Programs and OS systems

GRISOFT AVG

It seems that the people producing the GRISOFT AVG Free Versions of the anti-virus programs, will no longer support the out dated OS systems, due to the fact, MicroSoft , Windows Updates, no longer send out updates for the out dated Operating system. That has lead Grisoft to no longer support the same systems.

Important: End of Support for Windows 98 and Windows ME
Effective July 11, 2006, support for Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition and Windows ME (and their related components) will end. Updates for Windows 98 and Windows ME will be limited to those updates that currently appear on the Windows Update website. Microsoft will no longer create new updates for Windows 98 or Windows ME after this date.

This notice reflects the policies of the Microsoft Support Lifecycle. For more information, please read the Support Lifecycle policy. To enhance the security of your computer and to continue receiving updates, we recommend upgrading to one of the currently supported versions of Windows. For more information, visit the Microsoft Windows website.

AVG Free 8.0 is intended for personal and non-commercial use on single
computers running Windows 2000, XP or Vista.

AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 8.0 Supports the following Operational Systems

MS Windows 2000
MS Windows XP
MS Windows XP Pro X64 Edition
MS Windows Vista
MS Windows Vista X64 Edition

AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 8.0 DOES NOT Supports the following Operational Systems:

MS Windows 98
MS Windows ME
MS Windows NT
MS Windows NT Server
MS Windows 2000 Server
MS Windows 2003 Server X 64 Edition
MS Windows 2008 Server
MS Windows 2008 Server X 64 Edition
Linux i386
Free BSD
Symbian

AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 8.0 DOES NOT Supports the following Application:

MS Exchange Server 5.X
MS Exchange Server 2000/2003
MS Exchange Server 2007
Kerio MailServer 5/6 (MS Windows)
Kerio MailServer 5/6 (Linux i386)
Lotus Domino (MS Windows)
Lotus Domino (Linux i386)
PostFix
Qmail
SendMail
Exim

Apparently If you need server protection,
AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition does not have support for server operating systems (Windows NT Server, Windows 2000/2003 Server etc.). For server and network protection we recommend Small Business solution.

So my question to those out there that use Grisoft AVG Free edition Version 7.5 that will expire leaving us un protected, for having the out dated MS operating systems. What are you going to do?

Important Notice: * Some older operating systems such as Microsoft Windows ME, Microsoft Windows NT and Microsoft Windows 98 will only be supported until August 2008 as a minimum. http://free.grisoft.com/ww.platforms?lic=l_aff

Are there any members out there that have the out dated O.S. listed above and are finding out by there Anti-Virus software manufactures of discontinuing virus protection, or are they still going to give the protection, either as a paid or as a free download version.

I figured I have less then 45 days to find something, or either go with a new operating system. The only problem with a new O.S. is that most of the application and programs won’t run on a newer O.S.

Any Suggestion?????

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 07:56:14 AM »

I have XP in both the home computer and the lap top.
I have the paid version of AVG plus Firewall. For now it's the 7.5.
I'll up-date to 8.0 +  Firewall in the near future and may also try their paid version of anti bug (like AdAware or Spybot).
Suz658
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2008, 11:05:34 AM »

I've 'vista' on my laptop, with ZoneAlarm Firewall & AVG anti-virus, about 2 weeks ago my free AVG 7.5 stopped updating ..... it would go through the motions, but sit waiting for ages trying to get connected or a reply.  So I downloaded the free AVG 8.0.1, but I'm still having trouble with the scheduled updates, I don't know if I should try the paid version or go on the hunt for other anti-virus program  :-|
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2008, 12:33:05 PM »

I've 'vista' on my laptop, with ZoneAlarm Firewall & AVG anti-virus, about 2 weeks ago my free AVG 7.5 stopped updating ..... it would go through the motions, but sit waiting for ages trying to get connected or a reply.  So I downloaded the free AVG 8.0.1, but I'm still having trouble with the scheduled updates, I don't know if I should try the paid version or go on the hunt for other anti-virus program  :-|

Suz,

I would recommend going to there website during off peak hours to download AVG 8.0

I am running MS Windows 98 and I will be screwed by the end of August unless I can find some other manufacturer.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008, 01:53:15 PM »

greyghost should be along and help us out here...?

Steve, odds are, since you are running Win 98, that your old hand crank to start computer, will not support any newer version of Windows (eg: XP)

Best bet is to call a computer place and ask them.

Or go shopping  :grin:

I too had troubles with up-dates for AVG. It sort of cleared on it's own , plus I up-date at odd times and have been getting up-dates since, with no troubles. So far.
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2008, 02:47:05 PM »

greyghost should be along and help us out here...?

Steve, odds are, since you are running Win 98, that your old hand crank to start computer, will not support any newer version of Windows (eg: XP)

Best bet is to call a computer place and ask them.

Or go shopping  :grin:

I too had troubles with up-dates for AVG. It sort of cleared on it's own , plus I up-date at odd times and have been getting up-dates since, with no troubles. So far.

Reeves,

I have been running Grisoft Free AVG Version since 2000 and never had any issues with their anti-virus program.

On the other side of this CPU I have MS Windows XP which I have installed the new AVG FREE Version 8. No problems with the download. It just bothers the hell out of me that most of my software programs, printshop and the likes will not run on MS Windows XP.

This also goes for one of my other printers that I use all the time, it is not compatible with XP as well. Same thing with my HP scanner, It will not run on XP.

Note: I have two operating systems on one CPU, MS Windows XP on one side and the other side MS Windows 98SE. this is all on one mother board and each O.S. has their own hard drive connected to a common neutral hard drive to share certain files if needed.

It would cost a small fortune to purchase all the programs that I have in Windows 98 and then only to find out that all the files I have can't even be transfered over to the newer programs.

I am just looking for another anti-virus company either as a free visions or paid version that supports MS Window 98SE.  McAfee suck!! I have had nothing but headaches with them.

Grisoft is the best by far, either as a paid version or the Fee Bee.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »