Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:22:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Adding Pictures to your message is EASY! 
While creating a topic, click on ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and then the Browse
button. Select a picture file from your computer and your done!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Individual State/Country Discussion
| | |-+  West Virginia
| | | |-+  Getting started with Coturnix quail in WV
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Getting started with Coturnix quail in WV  (Read 13643 times)
JenJenWv

Personal Text

« on: March 12, 2013, 04:15:05 PM »

I've been looking into raising quail for a couple years. I got stumped before by all the paperwork and some family obligations arose, but I'm trying to get a handle on it again. Basically, I'd like to raise coturnix quail for meat and eggs for our family. I would like the option of being able to sell extra birds or eggs, though. So I'm trying to wade through the logistics of this all. If I want to sell the birds, does the person I sell to have to have all the business information and licensing set up and verified by myself, or is that on them? If a person just wanted to do this as a hobby without selling any birds, do they still need to have everything registered?  dk2
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 05:54:31 AM »

I've been looking into raising quail for a couple years. I got stumped before by all the paperwork and some family obligations arose, but I'm trying to get a handle on it again. Basically, I'd like to raise coturnix quail for meat and eggs for our family. I would like the option of being able to sell extra birds or eggs, though. So I'm trying to wade through the logistics of this all. If I want to sell the birds, does the person I sell to have to have all the business information and licensing set up and verified by myself, or is that on them? If a person just wanted to do this as a hobby without selling any birds, do they still need to have everything registered?  dk2

JenJenWv,

The state doesn't care who you sell to. It would be in your best interest as a licensed gamebird breeder to notify the buyer in question about the Rules and Regulations on raising gamebirds in this state.(WV) Coturnix quail is considered a gamebird in WV and all Rules and Regulation apply to these, as well as to all the other sub species of the quail family.

As long as you are licensed and have all your paperwork(LE-33A and LE-33B) for the birds sold, released, born, or died, even eaten. Eggs sales for hatching  needs to be reported on LE-33B Animal Acquisition/Disposition animal bill of sale/transfer record. This way it shows where the eggs came from when the buyer has hatched them out and shows that he/she has gotten them legally.

Just remember that you have to report your egg hatches on the LE-33A Animal Acquisition/Disposition On animal birth section.

The papertrail for gamebirds is just like the paperwork on a controlled substance.

The state(WVDNR) doesn't care how many eggs you sell for consumption.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
mandymxic

Personal Text

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2014, 10:19:11 PM »

I've read about the process of getting a permit in W.Va., but I'd like some specific information on the DNR rules and regulations. How large do the cages/flight pens need to be? How many quail can I keep in the cages? How often do they inspect? Are they overly strict? I'm largely interested in raising Coturnix quail, can I sell few chicks and hatching eggs without doing all this or would I be fined? I'm just not sure if it's worth it....
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 06:51:24 AM by mandymxic » Logged
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2014, 05:43:12 AM »

I've read about the process of getting a permit in W.Va., but I'd like some specific information on the DNR rules. How large do the cages/flight pens need to be? How many quail can I keep in the cages? Where do I get all the paperwork? How often do they inspect? Are they overly strict? I'm largely interested in raising Coturnix quail, can I sell few chicks and hatching eggs without doing all this or would I be fined? I'm just not sure if it's worth it....

Depending on where you are located, I would suggest you start with your local DNR Office on regulations. Let me assure you that they are going to tell you right of the bat that you have to have a business license first.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
mandymxic

Personal Text

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2014, 06:44:07 AM »

I'm afraid to call the DNR, I read online that they came to someone's house and took just a few Coturnix chicks away from her. The person also said that cages must be 100 square feet for six birds, and that seems a bit much for Coturnix quail. I live near Charleston, but I'm in Putnam county. Does the entire state not have the same rules and regulations?

Thank you.
Mandy
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2014, 06:14:21 AM »

I'm afraid to call the DNR, I read online that they came to someone's house and took just a few Coturnix chicks away from her. The person also said that cages must be 100 square feet for six birds, and that seems a bit much for Coturnix quail. I live near Charleston, but I'm in Putnam county. Does the entire state not have the same rules and regulations?

Thank you.
Mandy

The whole state is under the same rules and regulation. You have to get a copy of the Rules and Regulation on gamebirds. There has been some changes over the years and from the last time I have had any input, the pens and cages were to be the same as industry standards. Check out other states rule and regs on gamebirds and ask for their copy.

100sqft for six quail isn't right. This could work for pheasants. gamebirds at different stages from hatch to adults have different pen and cage sizes as well.

One size fits all for this state is wrong and some changes have been made.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »