Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2024, 09:17:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hope everyone had a great year.  Welcome to 2013.  Our monthly drawings will be starting back soon!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Individual State/Country Discussion
| | |-+  Ohio (Moderator: CharlieHorse)
| | | |-+  What do I need to do???
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What do I need to do???  (Read 11769 times)
jaime7997
Expert Member

« on: June 10, 2008, 10:56:57 PM »

I have been tossing around the idea of making this quail venture into an actuall business, but I haven't the slightest idea on how to actually make that happen. I mean, I can sell the birds and stuff, but where do I begin with making it a legit business? Tax ID? Vendor's license? Have some friends that know a little more about this stuff, but thought I'd ask  you fellow Ohions....
CharlieHorse
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 11:37:57 PM »

No "legit" ideas or advice from me.    :-X

I have a tendency to run in the "grey" area.   c49

"Legit" to me, means that you'll go broke.   ^-^

i9
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 11:39:37 PM by CharlieHorse » Logged

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 08:34:01 AM »

I have been tossing around the idea of making this quail venture into an actuall business, but I haven't the slightest idea on how to actually make that happen. I mean, I can sell the birds and stuff, but where do I begin with making it a legit business? Tax ID? Vendor's license? Have some friends that know a little more about this stuff, but thought I'd ask  you fellow Ohions....

First check with the ODNR. They should have all the license application forms and fees.......

CharlieHorse doesn't like my Idea though. s020 But if you are looking to go legit, that is the place to start.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
slider
Expert Member

What do you mean I have to press 1 for english.

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 08:53:05 AM »

Steve I did not know that you were from Ohio? s020

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 09:47:45 AM »

Steve I did not know that you were from Ohio? s020

I deal with some people in Ohio.. I have to know, it keeps me on my toes s020

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
jaime7997
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 10:43:48 AM »

Ah, Charlie, I am friends with the game warden, I will send him ur way...  s020 s020
Just kidding! Then who would I get advice from??? I have the permit for the birds themselves, I basically just need to know how to start a business. I am kinda dumb when it comes to that stuff. I'm sure I'll figure it out if I even end up doing that.  I guess you have to show a profit within 3 years or something like that? Any chance you all think that would happen???
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 11:22:06 AM »

Ah, Charlie, I am friends with the game warden, I will send him ur way...  s020 s020
Just kidding! Then who would I get advice from??? I have the permit for the birds themselves, I basically just need to know how to start a business. I am kinda dumb when it comes to that stuff. I'm sure I'll figure it out if I even end up doing that.  I guess you have to show a profit within 3 years or something like that? Any chance you all think that would happen???

Don't count your chicks before they hatch. Start small and send feelers out. Better to lose small then to lose $1000's. Start a business plan, get a OH business Licence. If you can claim it all under Agriculture, you might not have to collect any OH sales tax. That's the way in works in WV. The business license should also give you the benifit of not having to pay sales tax on any Wild Game Bird expenses such as feed, supplies, and building materials. As far as Federal taxes go, get yourself an accountant.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2008, 11:23:20 AM »

Oh and you can't claim any chick loss as an expense write off either. I tried  s020

Steve
Pheasnat Hollow Farm

jaime7997
Expert Member

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2008, 10:56:05 AM »

j2Thanks!
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2008, 01:31:05 PM »

j2  Thanks!

Oh and Good Luck jaime7997, don't get discouraged, just make sure you have Plenty of disposalable cash and a high amount of capital.

Again Good Luck to you!

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

jaime7997
Expert Member

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2008, 11:26:28 PM »

Yeah... Not a ton of cash lying around, but I sure have sunk a good amount in the little bit of stuff that I have now...And I only bought 100 eggs. Got 81 birds right now. Just a drop in the bucket. We'll see how it goes. Thanks for all your advice!
makesmiles

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2008, 12:07:47 AM »

c53

I am just getting back into raising quail after being out for almost 20 years.  However, when I did this before, I took orders first then incubated the eggs needed to fill the orders plus some extra.  I grew fairly quickly (less than a year) to keeping over 2000 birds on hand all the time and constantly rotating in and out.  I sold pickled quail eggs, hatching eggs, eggs to eat and dressed quail.  I had more orders for pickled eggs than I could fill.  I am doing it the same way this time and in a little over a month, I have orders for about 225 dressed quail and many requests for pickled eggs.  And I haven't really started to put the word out yet.  Some of my friends have been begging me for years to get back into the business, mostly for the pickled eggs.  I could have grown bigger back then, but I was already overloaded.  I eventually had to give it up because I couldn't keep up the pace and work full time also.  I didn't get rich, but I did make a profit.  I am getting close to retirement now and I love fooling with the birds so I decided to give it another try.  I would suggest you do it the same way.  Don't hatch birds that you don't have orders for.  Check with all your friends and relatives, especially hunters, and just generally spread the word.  Give samples when you can, especially eating eggs and pickled eggs.  When charging for your product, don't give it away but don't charge gourmet prices either.  Make your packaging look good.  I bought some dressed quail from a quail farm in Mississippi last week that smelled bad and looked bad.  It's my fault for not looking when I bought them, but she packaged them in a box before I saw them and away I went.  The smell was from poor cleaning.  They weren't bad but I had to clean them again when I got home.  Then she had put 6 quail per bag using very thin plastic bags and had just thrown them in the bag - very unappealing.  Some of the leg bones where sticking through the bag.  I package mine in vacuum sealed bags, 2 per bag, with the breast showing and the legs tucked under.  This packaging makes them look very good.  I also make sure they are cleaned well and ready to cook - rinse only and throw on the pit.  The wife does most of the cooking and if she has to re-clean a bad looking, smelly bird, you can book it, hubby won't be bringing home any more birds for dinner.

Hope this helps.

David

p33
jaime7997
Expert Member

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2008, 12:15:35 AM »

Sounds like you've got it all figured out!! I would like to try to raise a few to sell as either day olds, flight birds, or just eggs. I don't know if I wanna get into the dressing them out and all, and I think I have to have yet another permit for that, in addition to the propogation permit. If I sell the rest of the bunch that I have, I will likely order some more eggs. Hubby and friends will probably take care of several birds! This whole thing started out as just a hobby, but I'm leaning toward TRYING to actually make some cash...
I need to get the word out a little and see what kind of feedback I get.
Thanks.
Jaime
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »