Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:56:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Adding Pictures to your message is EASY! 
While creating a topic, click on ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and then the Browse
button. Select a picture file from your computer and your done!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Production and Business
| |-+  Poultry Production
| | |-+  What's up with green eggs???
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What's up with green eggs???  (Read 4963 times)
kathy32148

Personal Text

« on: January 10, 2014, 04:14:52 PM »

This is my first time on the forum and I am very new to raising quail. I have 37 pharaoh quail. 18 in one cage and 19 in the other (13 females in each). The cages are 2x2x8 with automatic watering system. They seem to be doing pretty well except a couple have bald heads. I get approximately 10 to 12 eggs out of each cage daily. They were born in October and I am feeding them Nutrena Game bird feed (30% protein). I am wondering why I get one green egg a day out of one of my pens, and the other pen gives me one huge double yolk a day. Hopefully someone can answer what or why these eggs are green. Was going to attach a pic but can't figure out how to do it.
RedOakGamebirds
Administrator
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 10:20:47 PM »

Try to attach a picture if you can.  The bald heads and backs will be the females as the males will pull the feathers out during mating.  What breed of pharoah do you have?  Its not uncommon to have birds that lay odd shaped or double yolks especially during the beginning stages of breeding younger birds.  There is no set color to coturnix eggs.  Most will have the brown splotches on them and others will be green or brown or almost white or tan.  I cant answer what causes that but its not uncommon as mine have done it for as long as I can remember and they are safe to eat.  Of course the double yolk eggs won hatch.

We manufacture egg shipping foam!
Pollorum/Typhoid/Avian Free
NPIP 52-186
Member NAGA and Virginia Game Bird Asociation
slider
Expert Member

What do you mean I have to press 1 for english.

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 08:50:19 AM »

agd2

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »