Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:15:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hope everyone had a great year.  Welcome to 2013.  Our monthly drawings will be starting back soon!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Hunting Gamebirds
| |-+  Hunting Gamebirds
| | |-+  Johnny Houses/Recall pens Are they ..........
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Johnny Houses/Recall pens Are they ..........  (Read 4774 times)
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« on: April 09, 2007, 04:44:00 PM »

..........Legal when releasing into the wild? I got into a discussion with the WVDNR concerning recall pens. As you know in the State of West Virginia, any birds that are sold to anyone and released must have paperwork with the birds.

Since I don’t raise Chukar or quail Bob White , I question them on the release and recall of the same birds. Their answer was, once the birds, Game birds, whether Pheasants, and all sub species, Bob White Quail and all sub species and Chukar are released, they become The Property of the State.

So……. In essence the use of Johnny Houses or recall pens are illegal in the State of West Virginia.

Does this hold true in other states, that if, an individual, buys birds for dog training, the bird(s) that are released becomes the Property of The State?

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
JohnInDixon
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 05:06:56 PM »

Sounds like the story of the fella with a bucket full of illegal trout that got caught by the game warden walking back to his truck. He explains to the warden they aren't illegal (too many) that they are his pets and that every day he brings them to the river for a swim, blows a whistle and they come right back to his bucket.  Warden thinks the guy is crazy and says "Prove it" So he pours them back into the river.
Then the warden says "whistle back your fish."

The guy says "what fish?"

Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2007, 07:53:34 PM »

Hahahaha good one!

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2007, 10:10:36 PM »

The Law in Ohio is...  once they are free to roam.......they belong to the state.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007, 02:51:02 AM »

The Law in Ohio is...  once they are free to roam.......they belong to the state.

so they are illegal in Ohio also..

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2007, 07:53:44 AM »

Technically.....Yeh.

But so is not wearing your seat belt and poaching. Yet it's done everyday.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Redhorse
Expert Member

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2007, 10:00:03 AM »

I talked to the game warden in my county and explained to him what I was doing. He said because my J-house was not easily transportable, and is kept stationary on my property, he would not conclude that I was trying to "trap wild quail" with it. Which is the reason for the supposed ban on recall pens. Don't get caught with a small transportable recall cage with a call bird in it!

The other thing that can be done, is tagging or marking all your birds. A little plastic ziptie around the ankle works great. That way any "wild" birds that get mixed in with yours can be immediately identified and released back into the wild. Talk to your game warden about it.

The other thing that can be done is (in Ohio) designating your property as a "dog training field" which requires a one time $75 fee to the state, and paperwork to be filed every year. This allows you to legally shoot released birds on your "dog training field" year round. If it has that ziptie on it...it's "your" bird not the states...therefore you can legally shoot it or let it recall. If you shoot a bird without a ziptie, you are required to release a perscribed number of "your" birds to compensate the state for it's bird.

Shotgun, bird dog, 4X4!!!!!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »