Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 04:41:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Adding Pictures to your message is EASY! 
While creating a topic, click on ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and then the Browse
button. Select a picture file from your computer and your done!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Production and Business
| |-+  Gamebird Business Aspects
| | |-+  The rising cost of feed!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 17 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The rising cost of feed!  (Read 142763 times)
jimmurray3
Expert Member

« Reply #60 on: January 25, 2008, 07:18:18 PM »

feed here today is $10.20 a 50lb bag still going up back in the summer it was $7.45 a 50lb bag that's making feed go up $2.75 a 50lb bag seance mid summer is there no end in sight s176
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #61 on: January 26, 2008, 07:11:21 PM »

Jumped up to $14.65 / 50lb.  when I bought some yesterday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   s53

This is getting out of hand.   Total   c109!!!!!!!!!

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
sugar run gamebirds

« Reply #62 on: January 26, 2008, 07:28:16 PM »

we just got feed from purina delivered at a price of 875.00 for 3 ton blown in. this is 19% flight conditioner. this comes out to 291/ton.  it went up 15 dollars a ton from last time they delivered.which is 14.55 a hundred. charliehorse we get our feed out of ohio i think it comes from massilon,oh. that is where the mill is.why don't you check on feed there.

Lenny
Sugar Run Gamebirds

Tennessee red,Mexican speckled, and bobwhite quail,chukar,ringneck pheasants

be careful what you say about a mans wife and kids but be DAMN careful what you say about his bird dogs......
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #63 on: January 28, 2008, 09:08:29 AM »

Thanks, but it would cost me more in fuel and time than it would be worth. About a 150 miles away from me.  Most of the mills around here have closed there doors, the last one closed about a year ago.  Too many middlemen in the feed business.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #64 on: January 28, 2008, 11:10:00 AM »

Jumped up to $14.65 / 50lb.  when I bought some yesterday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   s53

This is getting out of hand.   Total   c109!!!!!!!!!

Total  c109 I concur, I guess if you want to play, you have to pay.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #65 on: January 29, 2008, 07:42:40 AM »

I must say, I have no idea what the prices are here. When I need feed, I just pick it up without even looking or taking note of the price. Also more often than not, the wife picks it up.
Having just a few birds, they don't use much anyway.
I still have to try and remember to see the guy up the road that has a seed sorting place. I want to find out what he does with the "garbage" seeds taken out of grain crops.
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #66 on: January 29, 2008, 09:40:54 PM »

Anyone have an idea or know the reason for the rise in feed cost?

Is it Global Warming?
Is it the War in Iraq?
Is it because the Polar bears going extinct?

Please share your thoughts.
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #67 on: January 29, 2008, 09:59:14 PM »

bio-diesel
cost of fuel etc to produce it as well
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #68 on: January 29, 2008, 10:22:21 PM »

.....plus, they've put all the smaller farmers out of business, so they can just name their price.   

Can't run down to your farmer neighbor or to the other end of the county and buy grain/eggs/vegetables/beef/hay/etc./etc. anymore, he isn't around.   :-|

Jake Levi
Expert Member

« Reply #69 on: February 03, 2008, 09:47:26 AM »

ditto on the bio fuel, the country is growing almost twice the amount of corn now as a decade ago for ethanol and it still isnt enough,

add in the increased cost of fuel to grow, store and process grain and there's your increase. 

Whole corn went from 9.40 a hundred to 10 a hundred at my Amish feedstore, I'll continue to trade with him as his other grains are less then the compitition and he is very willing to order thin I want.

In 2010 two Japanese auto companys are introducing in the US high mileage getting hybrids, one uses lithium batterys that can be recharged in 15 mins,

I am REALLY hoping this gives Detroit a lot of competition and much to think about to get their heads out of their butts,

it'll also be nice to see the oil sheiks looking at sand and wondering how it will taste.  t15
« Last Edit: February 03, 2008, 12:59:59 PM by Jake Levi » Logged

Jake Levi
Curran, MI

"A government big enough to give you all that you want is big enough to take all that you have".
Thomas Jefferson
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #70 on: February 03, 2008, 10:38:19 AM »

s6

GM has already outdone the Japs in that department, especially since GM owns a good portion of foreign companies.

Maybe the US citizens will get their heads out of their butts someday and quit buying the Japanese junk and believing all the propaganda.  I own a Toyota Wheelbarrow now that has 200,000 miles on it. The ride stinks, it can't get out of it's own road, it gets 18 mph (tops), it is constant need of repair (it is babied), it needs front and rear bumpers (for the third time) and a couple fenders, quarter panels, and has mechanical and ignition repairs several times. If I where to use it like I have my GM's (in which is impossible), it would have been scrap many miles ago. I also owned a Full size 1984 Chevy 1/2 ton with 38 tires on it, worked the  s53 out of it, got 18 mpg, off roading many times, 269,000 miles later, I never touched it, not even as much as a U-joint.....drove it for 10 years, sold it for more than I gave for it, it's still on the road today. Full size Oldsmobiles, Cadillacs, Buicks have been getting close to 30 mpg for years and very dependable, powerfull and luxurious.   I now also own a GMC 2500HD........20 mpg and will haul a whole semi load of Toylets around like they're not there.  Leased new 2004 Honda (big mistake), first 2 weeks....upolstery looked like old pair of socks, uncomfortable seats and cheap, cheap, cheap, road noise was incredible, needed extensive repairs to the undercarriage and needed tires before 21,000 miles, 18 mpg, I couldn't wait to give it back., horse drawn carriages didn't make much more noise than that HONDA did.  Now have GMC Envoy that is ten times the automobile that HONDA could only wish it where and the same fuel mileage and better dependability and versatility.  Try pulling a trailer with a Hondog. I've owned about all of them at one time or another....... Subarus, Volkwagens, Oldsmobile,  Plymouths, Nissan, Toyotas, Ford, Lincoln, Cadillac, Mazda, Datsun, Austin Healey, GMC, Chevrolet, Willy's Jeep, Honda, etc. 

Wake up US Americans!!

:wink:
« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 01:26:48 AM by CharlieHorse » Logged

Jake Levi
Expert Member

« Reply #71 on: February 03, 2008, 01:08:55 PM »

My last truck before my present F150 was a GMC 4WD, I got sued by 3 gas stations for its sucking the gas pumps out of the ground when driving by, I sold it, drove a little chevy S10 for awhile, got this Ford and gave the S10 to my son. This only gets 16mpg max, but, it is hell on busting drifts to get out of the drive and to the main road. I'd love to have the little Nissan I had in S Africa, it got over 30mpg, but didnt have 4 WD, could almost drive under a tall elephant with it. Never saw one of them in the US.

I've never has a Honda but my sister got over 260,000 miles on theirs.

I am waiting for a decent hybrid truck, with 4WD, hopefully that will be the last one I need.

Jake Levi
Curran, MI

"A government big enough to give you all that you want is big enough to take all that you have".
Thomas Jefferson
Jake Levi
Expert Member

« Reply #72 on: February 03, 2008, 03:27:02 PM »

Charlie

I saw this on yahoo news when I logged back in,

sounds promising, but got a long ways to go, one Japanese vehicle gets over a 100 miles to the gallon. Still, this is looking better then what is available now.

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080203/auto_show_hybrid_trucks.html

Jake Levi
Curran, MI

Thomas Jefferson
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #73 on: February 03, 2008, 10:57:48 PM »

s6

one Japanese vehicle gets over a 100 miles to the gallon.

Hey Jake,

There are alot of American made vehicles that are sold overseas that have gotten 50-100 mpg for years........diesel powered (not sold in the US) (Illegal).  Can't sell a diesel in California, but it's ok to run across the border to another state and buy one and bring it back.!?  That makes alot of sense. They are not available in this country for $$$$/political reasons.  Anyone who thinks that GM (biggest company in the world) doesn't have a say in oil, doesn't have a clue.  That's kinda like saying that the electric companies don't have anything to do with coal companies (they own all of them). If everyone got 50 mpg tomorrow.....we would be paying $10.00+ a gallon. They're going to make a specified amount of money no matter what. So if anyone thinks that they are going to save $$ by getting 50-100 miles per gallon.......think again.  In the end, it will be about saving the enviroment and the oil for neccessities (food, military, the rich, etc.).......not about saving individuals $$$$. They'll get their money one way or another. I guess that maybe that's why I get bent out of shape when I hear garbage about how good Hondogs and Toylets are compared to American autos, GM has owned interest in Toylet since around 1980......there's more to it than we'll ever know........and they make sure it stays that way. The fact is that the last country with the last barrel of oil.......is the winner!...regardless of how they got it.
    Yeah, It's possible that the "bio-fuels" play a part in the rising cost of feed, at least that is what the politically influenced media wants everyone to believe. Although it is a fact that if all the available crop land in the world where used for "bio-fuels" alone, it wouldn't be a drop in the tanker compared to how much petroleum is being consumed on a daily basis. We're just spinning our wheels in that department. 
    Big business owned farms have lobbied for years for "rules and regulations" (fancy words for laws) that are imposed on themselves in which they can afford to comply, thus pushing the smaller farmer out of business.  Now who has the say so in the price of grain?  As I've mentioned before, I can't go to the farm down the road and get 100# of corn from him at an honest price.........his doors are closed and his fields are saplings.................it's all around me.  I've witnessed this very scenario play out with plumbing and electrician licenses (fancy word for tax) in the State of Ohio.  New Rules and Regs (laws/tax) imposed under the cover of "protecting the consumer", ultimately putting the little guy under besause he cannot afford to keep up.  Otherwise known as a monopoly.

Something is going to happen.........it has too, one way or another.  The clock is ticking.

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handy...........

Think of a computer virus..........

I am a computer/software manufacturer,  I know more about computers than anyone.  There is no better way to insure my security and sales than to destroy computers worldwide and nobody knows where it came from.

......think about it.    ^-^

« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 01:54:04 AM by CharlieHorse » Logged

CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #74 on: February 05, 2008, 11:31:17 PM »

I'm not promoting this, just thought that it was interesting:

There's corn in that?

• Of 10,000 items in a typical grocery store, at least 2,500 use corn in some form during production or processing.

• Your bacon and egg breakfast, glass of milk at lunch, or hamburger for supper were all produced with US corn.

• Besides food for human and livestock consumption, corn is used in paint, paper products, cosmetics, tires, fuel, plastics, textiles, explosives, and wallboard – among other things.

• In the US, corn leads all other crops in value and volume of production – more than double that of any other crop.

• Corn is America's chief crop export, with total bushels exported exceeding total bushels used domestically for food, seed, and industrial purposes.

Corn requires more fertilizers and pesticides than other crops. It takes the equivalent of half a gallon of gasoline to grow every bushel of corn. [Almost] everything we do to protect our oil supply ... is a cost of that burger.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 17 Go Up Print 
« previous next »