Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2024, 01:13:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Thank you for making us one of the highest ranking gamebird sites on the internet!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Build It Yourself
| | |-+  Pen questions help!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pen questions help!  (Read 2876 times)
chukarboy

« on: March 20, 2009, 05:45:18 PM »

I built my 25' x 25' pen on the slope behind my horse corrals. I raise mountain quail in it and use it for a grow out pen for pheasant until they are old enough to let them run around out in the back yard with the horses.

I love my Mountain quail and the pheasant only make me happy when I can see them running free in the yard like chickens.

I have only lost one quail from some unknown problem, he died in his roost and outside his anus area was full of poop (white and gray.)

I do not medicate my birds or give them any Grit.

1. In a dirt pen like mine do I need to have an area for grit? ( I feed purina startena game bird chow)

2. Should I have a sand area?

3. Should I medicate their food or water?

4. Should I treat the ground with lime or other agent?

Any input would be appreciated.
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 08:17:26 PM »

Looking at the picture, I wouldn't salt or lime the ground. For one, you'll kill the trees.
Worming the birds twice a year will take care of any of those problems.
Worming should take place before the breeding season, and in the fall, before the on set of winter.

Steve (Pheasant Hollow Farm) has posted info on illnesses in the Health section. You may find the answer to the question there. If not, let us know.

Grit will depend on the soils in you pen. Looks like steep ground, so maybe the gravel (grit) they need will be there ?
To be on the safe side, you can supply #1 and #2 size grit (ask your feed store) in a well drained area for them.

Although all the Quail and Pheasant species will bath in plain old dirt, I've found a sand area will always be used more often.
This will help condition their feathers, and they also do this to help rid them selves of mites etc.

No need to supply medicated feed, or water, unless there is a problem. Medicated feed has just enough to "help" prevent sickness. It is not enough to cure anything.

You can guy grit, or just supply a fine gravel. They'll pick the size they want out of the gravel. Just make sure it is changed often. Fecal matter will end up in it, and this is not a good thing over time. Change it 12 times a year, or more. Same with the sand. I collect sand from a river bank near my place.
I had bought 5 ton of beautiful golden washed sand one time. My birds wouldn't use it !

How old was the Quail when it died ?
chukarboy

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 10:37:15 AM »

Thank you for the input. The quail that died was 6 months old.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »