Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:01:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Buy & Sell Gamebirds online!
Click Here for TQP Auction & Ads
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Buy and Sell
| | |-+  Alaskan snow pheasant
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Alaskan snow pheasant  (Read 13453 times)
NH/Pete
Expert Member

« on: April 18, 2008, 11:08:27 AM »

Anyone have a reliable source for hatching eggs?

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
Abraham Lincoln
Jake Levi
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2008, 09:10:46 AM »

Check the Game Bird Gazette, a lot of ads there.

Its an established white strain, the word Alaskan is hype, there are no native Pheasants in Alaska, there are a few Ringnecks that have been established in the south.

Jake Levi
Curran, MI

"A government big enough to give you all that you want is big enough to take all that you have".
Thomas Jefferson
NH/Pete
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 08:32:39 AM »

Thanks for the reply. I know it's just a white ring neck. I'm thinking it will dress out looking with a cleaner appearance.
Tried eggs from Ebay with little success.

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
Abraham Lincoln
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 01:24:38 PM »

Thanks for the reply. I know it's just a white ring neck. I'm thinking it will dress out looking with a cleaner appearance.
Tried eggs from Ebay with little success.

Hey NH/Pete,

Can you elaborate a little on what you posted as to " I'm thinking it will dress out looking with a cleaner appearance. "

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
NH/Pete
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2008, 03:47:28 PM »

Hi Steve, Let me first tell you my family has a saying, or maybe its mostly me. 
The only good pet is one you can eat. :grin:. Most of the animals I raise end up on the dinner table.
Not to say we don't have a couple of true pets.
  A bird with white feathers has a cleaner looking skin than a bird with colored feathers after processing.
At the quill a dark feather has a tar like ( I don't know what it's called) gooey substance that stays on and in the skin.
To me you just don't get as clean an appearance as you do with white birds.

Abraham Lincoln
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2008, 04:20:42 PM »

Hi Steve, Let me first tell you my family has a saying, or maybe its mostly me. 
The only good pet is one you can eat. :grin:. Most of the animals I raise end up on the dinner table.
Not to say we don't have a couple of true pets.
  A bird with white feathers has a cleaner looking skin than a bird with colored feathers after processing.
At the quill a dark feather has a tar like ( I don't know what it's called) gooey substance that stays on and in the skin.
To me you just don't get as clean an appearance as you do with white birds.

That's what I thought you were talking about, but wasn't quite sure.

The White Pheasant is a meat bird just as the Jumbo RN Pheasant. They are not usually found on the shooting preserves since their sizes can be up to a pound heavier, and a slower flier. These birds are usually found as a speciality item normally in Stromberg's Chickens.

I don't think you are going to see much of a difference in the skin color once the bird has been dressed, unless you plan on putting the birds on a milk diet.

The RN hens have a cream color breast feather compared to the RN cock. Once dressed both basically look the same in skin color. The same can be held true on the color of the breast meat. I have had the RN hens breast (skinned) a cream color to almost chicken cutlet color and the same with the RN cocks. I have had it where both the RN hens and cocks had their skinned breast a darker color, almost as the color of the domesticated turkey legs (dark meat). Whether the meat was a light cream color or dark color the taste was the same.

I believe it has all to do with a very strict diet plan and keeping the birds in the same environment as Frank Perdue and Tyson chicken farms.

There is no way possible to even think about running a pheasant operation here in WV like a Perdue or Tyson chicken farm, unless all pheasants  were reclassified as poultry, and taken off the wild game bird list and placed under the jurisdiction of WV Dept of AG.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
NH/Pete
Expert Member

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2008, 09:14:03 PM »

Thanks Steve,
Thats what I'm looking for a large meat pheasant. I wish I tried Stromberg's before wasting money on ebay eggs.
What would you recommend for quail for the table? As always these would be for our own consummation not for sale.

Abraham Lincoln
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »