Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 02, 2024, 03:55:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Thank you for making us one of the highest ranking gamebird sites on the internet!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  christmas tree
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: christmas tree  (Read 15714 times)
jaime7997
Expert Member

« on: January 05, 2009, 07:58:58 PM »

So, I put a tree in with the birds on Saturday and they don't really seem to be hanging out in it... To those of you that have done this, do you stand the tree up or lie it on it's side? I have it standing up right now. I think maybe I need to trim some bottom branches off so they can get under it better. I don't know... Just looking to see how you all did the "discarded Christmas tree" thing... Thanks!
Bird Brained
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 09:05:12 PM »

Lay it on it's side on the wire floor.  I do it all the time with cedar trees I cut from the fields and fence rows.  You can also put prop the trunk a couple feet up against the side of the pen to lift the tree some on one end letting the top of the tree rest on the floor.

It not only gives the birds something to pick at, it provides a hiding place, and will groom their feathers as they walk through it.  by the time I remove it, the birds usually have stripped all the green and bark from it.
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 09:08:06 PM »

What BB said, plus what I'll say in a PM.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 05:39:21 PM by Reeves » Logged
jaime7997
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 09:36:41 PM »

Thanks guys!!
slider
Expert Member

What do you mean I have to press 1 for english.

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 10:03:34 PM »

Just make sure it does not have any flock on it....or any tinsile left on it...

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
ode2god
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009, 03:16:06 PM »

s87
jaime7997
Expert Member

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2009, 08:50:00 PM »

Just make sure it does not have any flock on it....or any tinsile left on it...
It wasn't used... We know a guy that has a tree farm locally and he gave me a couple trees that they had cut and didn't sell. I hope to be able to get some from him throughout the year. Castoffs, misshapen ones, etc... Just wish I had thought of it sooner than a month before Christmas when he was so busy. But, better late than never.
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2009, 09:03:19 PM »

Hey jaime,

I'm next door to a Christmas tree farm myself.  Since I have a ground pen , I put a little straw on the trees, the BW's will get up in there and roost at different levels where they make "beds" in the hay/straw. 

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
slider
Expert Member

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2009, 09:07:21 PM »

Welcome back !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jaime7997
Expert Member

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2009, 09:32:20 PM »

Did somebody leave? Did I miss something??
I think I'm going to trim some branches from the bottom of it and put some more hay under there. And maybe some in the branches themselves! Thanks Charlie!
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2009, 11:04:06 PM »

Try both, but try putting an ample amount on the tree itself and kinda shove some down inside of it.  It works great, although you can get a build up of droppings and will have to dispose of the tree, clean it or whatever, depending on amount of birds'

::)    ???    Me?   I believe that you're the one who has been runnin' 'round all over the country?   :grin:

slider
Expert Member

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2009, 10:42:43 AM »

Christmas trees are good....
Home Sweet Home!!!!!!!!!!

jaime7997
Expert Member

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2009, 07:43:16 PM »

Try both, but try putting an ample amount on the tree itself and kinda shove some down inside of it.  It works great, although you can get a build up of droppings and will have to dispose of the tree, clean it or whatever, depending on amount of birds'

::)    ???    Me?   I believe that you're the one who has been runnin' 'round all over the country?   :grin:

I need to do that... Although I went out last night to feed and stuff and some of them were actually in the house part of the pen. I was shocked. And some were under the tree I think. One actually jumped down from one of the low branches! He was perching in there somewhere. Made me happy to know they were at least getting out of the weather.
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2009, 09:25:25 PM »

If your pen dimensions allow, you would get a larger usable area of shelter by laying the tree on it's side.  If they are already using it, that might upset them, a little, now.  Over all, it seems evergreen trees, and trimmings, and shade screen, are better utilized by game birds than  shelter houses.

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
jaime7997
Expert Member

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2009, 09:56:45 AM »

Tell me about it! Their food is in the house and I think if it weren't for that they would never go in. BUT. You all told me that from the get-go. Your'e so smart...;)
I may put theo ther tree  in there too on its side and see how they do with it. If I get ambitious. It's supposed to come up a big snow this weekend so I should get on it...
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »