Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 04:47:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
TQP Forum has a new look!  Let us know what you think!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Another sad day at the farm
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Another sad day at the farm  (Read 18882 times)
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #45 on: December 17, 2008, 07:49:32 AM »

She's a tough Gal Steve, thats for sure.

I had something similar with my last retired sled team leader, he was 14, started having problems, I came close over two weeks to putting him to sleep, finally the vet hit on something that got him back on his feet, it was severe arthritis, and he couldnt stand, finally we got him up and moving, he had two more good years, finally it started getting worse, so one night with a soft heavy snow falling around us I gave him the shot from the vet, and we sat there in the quiet snow until he went over the bridge.   

I miss him still, super tough dog, clown and close friend. He'll be waiting when its my turn.

That is so true Jake. The reunion will be something that can never be explained or expressed.

I am waiting for the call from the vet this morning to see how she is doing. I am hoping for the best.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
ode2god
« Reply #46 on: December 17, 2008, 09:55:52 AM »

yes sadly sometimes it comes down to cost ...how far we can go to save our freinds , i had to help a freind put her pet down one time because it got to the point where it lingered on so long that she had to choose between spending her last penny or paying her mortgage...i hope she gets better before it comes to that i know youll do all you can i hope she pulls through for you steve  s47
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #47 on: December 17, 2008, 12:51:14 PM »

yes sadly sometimes it comes down to cost ...how far we can go to save our freinds , i had to help a freind put her pet down one time because it got to the point where it lingered on so long that she had to choose between spending her last penny or paying her mortgage...i hope she gets better before it comes to that i know youll do all you can i hope she pulls through for you steve  s47

Ode,

It isn't so much as a cost factor. The issue here is will she pull out of it and maintain some quality of life.

I just got off of the phone with the Doc, and he said that Koffee was doing about the same as yesterday, eating, but not drinking the amount of water they would like to see her drink. The upbeat side being, that she hasn't had any seizure activity since they stopped the Phenobarbital Tuesday morning.

She seems alert but still can't stand on her own without any assistance. She is still on the steroids, and she is not in any pain or discomfort.

She has urinated and has had a bowel movement, but the downside to this is that she is holding it as long as she can, since she doen't want to dirty herself.

My wife and I have decided to give Koffee until this Friday. If she hasn't shown any significant overall improvement, as far trying to stand and walk on her own, we feel that Koffee's quality of life is no longer there, and regretfully, we, or I, will instruct the Dr. to put her to sleep.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
ode2god
« Reply #48 on: December 18, 2008, 12:03:55 PM »

thats a good thing... the money situation ... i  have so many human mouths to feed as well as pets and extended family things get tight here ...i continue to lift you bothe in prayer  and heres a hug  hope it helps  i5 a little anyway good luck koffee were pullin for you!
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #49 on: December 18, 2008, 12:21:09 PM »

thats a good thing... the money situation ... i  have so many human mouths to feed as well as pets and extended family things get tight here ...i continue to lift you bothe in prayer  and heres a hug  hope it helps  i5 a little anyway good luck koffee were pullin for you!

Well ode,

Since you posted, I will direct the update on Koffee to you.

12 noon December 18th, 2008

I just got of the phone with the vet, and Koffee seems to be more focused and responsive. Her appetite has pickup since yesterday afternoon and this morning, eating more and taking treats as well. Her fluid intake by mouth has also increase even though they are running IV fluids as well.

She is still getting a heavy dose of steroids in the morning as well.

Her left hind leg has gotten stronger, but the right leg is still the same when we brought her in.

She was able to stand when assisted and remained standing on her own for about 30 seconds.

As long as she continues to show progress we will go day by day at this point.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

ode2god
« Reply #50 on: December 19, 2008, 09:34:58 PM »

yeah go koffee hang in there steve  j2
tweezy50
Expert Member

« Reply #51 on: December 28, 2008, 10:43:52 AM »

What is th elatest on koffee?

I see last posting here was upbeat and hopeful.....Is she still doing well?
ode2god
« Reply #52 on: December 28, 2008, 09:14:23 PM »

yeah me too steve im sorry been so busy forgot bout yer ol gal how is she?
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #53 on: December 29, 2008, 06:36:25 AM »

I am said to say that we had to put Koffee to sleep on December 20th. She was progressing well enough for us to bring her home on Saturday morning of the 20th, but due to Verizons requirements on being home for repairs in the morning, we had scheduled to pick her up in the afternoon.

When we got there, we were informed that Koffee had two massive seizures and was now being given Valium and Phenobarbital via, IV.

I, following the Drs recommendations, on the prognosis’s, that she had a brain tumor and the likelihood that she will ever recover, made the decision.

To all that loved and lost, Rainbow Bridge…

This is for Koffee and to all the other dog owners that have lost their family pet member, whether it is a working breed or just a housedog.

May she rest in peace 1995 –2008

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

The Author is unknown.

Rainbow  Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here,
that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.

There are meadows and hills
 for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine,
and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old
 are restored to health and vigor;
 those who were hurt or maimed
are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in
 our dreams of days and times gone by.

The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing;
they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together,
 but the day comes when
 one suddenly stops and looks into the distance.
His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers.
 Suddenly he begins to run from the group,
flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted,
 and when you and your special friend finally meet,
you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again.
The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head,
 and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet,
 so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together….

tweezy50
Expert Member

« Reply #54 on: December 29, 2008, 10:17:34 AM »

I am sorry for your loss.
NH/Pete
Expert Member

« Reply #55 on: December 29, 2008, 03:39:24 PM »

Sad to read Steve

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
Abraham Lincoln
birddog
Expert Member

« Reply #56 on: December 29, 2008, 08:03:12 PM »

sorry to hear this Steve! 

raising and breeding ringneck pheasants , bobwhite quail and English setters.  also have   turkeys, chickens, geese and pigs.. lions tigers bears oh my
ode2god
« Reply #57 on: December 29, 2008, 09:05:52 PM »

she sure was a good looking pup steve sorry to hear it ...my sympathys are with you :cry:
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #58 on: December 30, 2008, 04:51:29 AM »

I want to thank all of you that had should concern..

That Rainbow Bridge sure does put a lump in your throat.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Jake Levi
Expert Member

« Reply #59 on: January 01, 2009, 06:01:22 PM »

Shoot, I was hoping for good news,  there's plenty of welcome for her over the bridge. Lot of good friends over there.

She'll live here in your memories my friend, and be waiting.

Jake Levi
Curran, MI

"A government big enough to give you all that you want is big enough to take all that you have".
Thomas Jefferson
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »