Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 03:26:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
TQP Forum has a new look!  Let us know what you think!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Moisture Pan Float Issues
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Moisture Pan Float Issues  (Read 4299 times)
mark

« on: July 05, 2008, 04:48:58 PM »

My neighbor uses a GQF 1502 Incubator and his moisture pan float corroded and was stuck open all the time. Well, he ordered a new float that was all plastic and now it does not allow that much water into the pan as the previous float. Any suggestions on what would cause this or a fix to have more water fill up the pan.

Mark
joe sangster

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2008, 05:37:49 PM »

I had a similar problem & it was due to sediment in the water which was corrected by using only distilled water.

Joe
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2008, 08:01:54 PM »

You can easily install a refrigerator ice maker filter, if that is the problem.  I don't think it is, yet.

I have one of those valves, never installed.  When I get home (probably Mon.),  I'll look at it.  It may be adjustable, or may have an obstruction in plastic molding.  They should be better than the metal as far as corrosion.  I would bet on level adjustment, or inaccurate installation.  Also, be careful, about water pressure if you ever connect one to a supply line.  In some rural areas, water pressure, can be 70 psi, or more.

I have to use H2O (O-H-O), rather than tap/rural water in my incubators.  I rigged up a system to capture air conditioner condensation, last year.  I have also used rain water, but it needs to be pre-filtered, before the pump, then filtered through ice maker filter.  Otherwise, it clogs the filter pretty fast.  Mine use 3-5 Gallons per day, so purchasing distilled water runs costs up.  How much water does a Sportsman use per hatch?

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
mark

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2008, 08:48:11 PM »

its hooked up with the 5-gallon bucket that came with it. The previous float work just fine, but this one just plain sucks. We took it apart today and there is no adjustment, moving the float up and down by hand no hang ups as far as extra plastic. I sent an Email to GQF and hopefully they have an answer for it.

mark
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2008, 09:05:55 PM »

I sent an Email to GQF and hopefully they have an answer for it.

mark

Don't hold your breath.  Their service can stink.  Kind of depends who you contact.

Does the water flow in slow, or just stop before level is high enough?

Does the float drop away far enough, when installed, to allow valve to open?

Did you connect it to water source, and tip it back and forth, play with it a little to see if it works?  This will tell you if the problem in in the valve itself, or with installation.  Is the vertical distance from the connection to the bottom of the free hanging float the same, or less than the old one.  If larger, it might contact the bottom of the pan, and stop the flow.

I know I'm throwing a lot of stuff against the wall, here, but sometimes we can be standing too close to the problem to see it. 

One other thought (and don't shoot me for this one), is it possible the valve was installed upside down?  When installed, can you push the float down, and cause water to flow into the pan?

mark

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2008, 09:43:01 PM »

I sent an Email to GQF and hopefully they have an answer for it.

mark

Don't hold your breath.  Their service can stink.  Kind of depends who you contact.

Does the water flow in slow, or just stop before level is high enough?

Does the float drop away far enough, when installed, to allow valve to open?

Did you connect it to water source, and tip it back and forth, play with it a little to see if it works?  This will tell you if the problem in in the valve itself, or with installation.  Is the vertical distance from the connection to the bottom of the free hanging float the same, or less than the old one.  If larger, it might contact the bottom of the pan, and stop the flow.

I know I'm throwing a lot of stuff against the wall, here, but sometimes we can be standing too close to the problem to see it. 

One other thought (and don't shoot me for this one), is it possible the valve was installed upside down?  When installed, can you push the float down, and cause water to flow into the pan?

Tried those suggestions still nothing, but did noticed that the new float and float arm is much shorter in length that the original one that came with the moisture pan.

mark
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2008, 07:43:11 AM »

I had ordered a new pan and auto-fill valve for my GQF incubator and had the same problem. I couldn't hardly believe how poorly the float/valve was designed, it would only fill the pan about 1", if that.  The way the float arm is made, it's almost impossible to bend in order to get the pan to fill.  But that's what I did........bent and twisted the float arm. At first I thought they sent me the wrong float valve, but then after researching,  that they are just a total piece of junk.  I think that they are the same float that they use in a Toyota gas tank.  :-|

s47
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 10:45:07 AM by CharlieHorse » Logged

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
jgalo

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2008, 09:25:27 AM »

You can try to get rid of the float and use a drip system like I do.  Either by adjusting the valve or installing a squeeze clip.  Works just like an IV.  Takes some fooling with but works fine and won't clog up.
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2008, 11:32:23 AM »

You can try to get rid of the float and use a drip system like I do.  Either by adjusting the valve or installing a squeeze clip.  Works just like an IV.  Takes some fooling with but works fine and won't clog up.

That's a good idea, you could even use it, just to fill the pan from the outside, as needed.  I've used a hose that way to fill extra pan I added to one of my incubators (didn't have the shut off valve).

The one thing to keep in mind, if you try this, you won't be able to leave home for a week, unless you get it exact! 

That reminds me, I asked before, how much water (on average, of course it varies)  does the sportsman type use per day, or per hatch?

CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2008, 04:17:33 PM »

how much water (on average, of course it varies)  does the sportsman type use per day, or per hatch?

No where close to 3-5 gallon a day. I never really kept track. But I know that 5 gallon would last at least a week or two in my air conditioned house.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2008, 04:58:10 PM »

how much water (on average, of course it varies)  does the sportsman type use per day, or per hatch?

No where close to 3-5 gallon a day. I never really kept track. But I know that 5 gallon would last at least a week or two in my air conditioned house.

My GQF's only use 1.5 to 2 quarts per day with the inside incubators' humidity @ 48-52% and the wet bulb being 83-84*. The inside incubator house is usually around 69% humidity with the ambient temps 75-85* as of now.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
jgalo

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2008, 07:29:39 PM »

It takes some fooling with but you can match the evaporation rate and walk away.  Works best with a 1/4" quick connect valve and squeeze clip.  That way you can shut it off with the valve and keep the drip setting.  You can have seperate tubing set up for different drip rates.  Just release at the valve and push in the new one
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »