Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 02:29:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Adding Pictures to your message is EASY! 
While creating a topic, click on ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and then the Browse
button. Select a picture file from your computer and your done!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  bald eagles
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: bald eagles  (Read 2701 times)
birddog
Expert Member

« on: January 11, 2008, 08:07:03 PM »

Came back from picking up parts for a customers car this afternoon  and found two bald eagles and a crow circling my property. the crow was not happy. all my birds safe and accounted for. maybe there after the weasels. ha ha.  we are seeing a  lot of bald eagles around this area 
( central Maine ) is anyone else seeing them regularly ?

raising and breeding ringneck pheasants , bobwhite quail and English setters.  also have   turkeys, chickens, geese and pigs.. lions tigers bears oh my
Jake Levi
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2008, 07:34:59 PM »

Yup, I have a nest one mile south of my place, and another one about four miles west of here. There are a number of pairs in the area, helps keep the coyotes down. They clean up a lot of roadkill deer carcasses too.

I am far more concerned about Coons and Black Bears then I am Eagles.   Hot wires work so far.

Jake Levi
Curran, MI

"A government big enough to give you all that you want is big enough to take all that you have".
Thomas Jefferson
birddog
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 05:24:54 PM »

it is good to see bald eagles coming back I had never seen one until a few years ago. now almost every day. and when I go to the dump there are always 6 or 7 around .also see a lot of turkey vultures around too  they will sit on roadkill and watch as I drive past it is amazing how much they do look like turkeys from a distance.. that changes when you get close. we went to Canada on vacation a few years ago and came to a spot where we were going up a hill and around a corner at a very slow speed . and there was a turkey vulture on the guardrail. the car was no more than 5 feet from the ugly creature and it just sat there looking at us. kind of creepy . we do not have any bears around this part of the state. although if your a hunter the state would like you to think otherwise. saw 20 times as many black bears in NH than here in Maine. I think all the wild game is moving out. too many taxes ha. ha.

raising and breeding ringneck pheasants , bobwhite quail and English setters.  also have   turkeys, chickens, geese and pigs.. lions tigers bears oh my
Jake Levi
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2008, 11:00:24 PM »

I get a jolt every time I see a Bald Eagle, which is several times a week.  Having hot wires keeps them out of the pens, also the Bears, as long as they dont short out from deep snow.  I'm not seeing any Bears around now but will soon as it warms up.

Jake Levi
Curran, MI

"A government big enough to give you all that you want is big enough to take all that you have".
Thomas Jefferson
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2008, 11:01:31 PM »

Haven't seen any here.  As far as I know, they were removed from the endangered species list in July 2007.  

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Jake Levi
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2008, 03:48:32 PM »

All raptors are protected by Federal Law yet, heavy fine for harming one let alone killing it.  Even Golden Eagles are protected with fines and jail sentences for harming.  Only Native Americans can have feathers and/or body parts, and they have to be registered.

Jake Levi
Curran, MI

Thomas Jefferson
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »