Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2024, 03:17:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Buy & Sell Gamebirds online!
Click Here for TQP Auction & Ads
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Health Issues
| | |-+  Killer bird dust!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Killer bird dust!  (Read 4518 times)
greyghost
« on: October 25, 2009, 12:56:01 AM »

I was just down in the basement moving the last of the seasons birds when I noticed a dust on the brooder light . Then I thought to myself; That looks like the same dust from the pheasant farm. The same farm that Richard ran for many years, who, I may add is fighting lung cancer.
Enough of the crap. I had some chicks downstairs because it was getting cold. ( Blame Al Gore for the global warming! ) I now am having a dust problem. Is it powder from the food or dry bird droppings? I am guessing both.
Those of you that have a large operation, do you have this problem? And, if so, what do you do to take care of it? AND, is there a health risk?
At Harmony Gamebird farm, Rich was selling 14k in pheasants, and 6k Chukar per year. That is allot of feed and bird crap!
Thanks, Ghost.
greyghost
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 01:04:47 AM »

Oh great! I have histoplasmosis! Oh crap! Oh no, that's what  caused it!  hlp2
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009, 07:38:25 AM »

"Bird dust" = Bad !

You can get COPD and worse. I always wear a filter mask when cleaning bird "houses".
greyghost
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 02:28:16 PM »

Thanks Reeves, what scares me is that Rich of Harmony pheasant farms has lung cancer. I am having fun raising birds, but I do not want it to kill me.  I will take your advice. Ghost.
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009, 06:36:25 PM »

Kind I have has a rubber piece that covers the nose and mouth. It has two screw on filters. You can get different filters, for the job you are doing.
All safety supply places will have them.
IamTomm
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 11:54:37 PM »

A large amount of the dust you are seeing is from Dander and not feed and droppings(unless you aren't cleaning very often)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »