Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:56:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
TQP Forum has a new look!  Let us know what you think!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Our Member's Section
| |-+  Off Topic Discussion and Current Event's
| | |-+  Getting Rid of BW's
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Getting Rid of BW's  (Read 18127 times)
slider
Expert Member

What do you mean I have to press 1 for english.

« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2008, 10:36:26 AM »

Yea and if you have any Grouse I`ll take them.... s020

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2008, 10:49:10 AM »

I guess it would be worth looking into..

I'd have to tell them where they could stick their dollar anyway.    :grin:

use your quail as finger food

:-o  These are top notch bloodlines.............in case you didn't know.   :wink:

I would then have to go to all the places that I had an excuse not to go to, if you get my drift.....

I sure do, but I've got a whole list that I can use for excuses at this point in life.   ^-^

Yea and if you have any Grouse I`ll take them....

::)  I can only wish that I had grouse.  Then I would have an excuse for everything.........that's what I'm afraid of......taking too much of my time.   :-|

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2008, 10:59:09 AM »

I'd have to tell them where they could stick their dollar anyway.    :grin:

s020 that's the response I expected.

:-o  These are top notch bloodlines.............in case you didn't know.   :wink:

My dog wouldn't have it any other way  s020

I sure do, but I've got a whole list that I can use for excuses at this point in life.   ^-^

That is only excuse I have left, and it is my birds, and it is a valid one as well.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2008, 11:01:38 AM »

s020 also, all the other excuses are now null and void. Do you have any extras you would like to share?

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
cv
Expert Member

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2008, 03:50:48 PM »

What I want to sew is webbing, not dresses!!!   I've been wanting to make work harnesses and carts for my sons 4H Boer goats for several years and by gosh I'm going to do it!!   I don't know much of anything about a sewing machine and my wifes machine that I bought her 9 years ago has never been plugged in.  :-| I don't know if it is even capable of sewing webbing or not?   I'm going to find out. Those heavy duty machines cost a bundle!

If anybody has any knowledge of sewing webbing, please fill me in.

Here's the machine, it's a "Brother" :

Webbing..............not dresses!!     :-|

I'm not an expert at sewing but I do know a little bit about it .. obviously, Your machine would have to have enough power to be able to push the correct size needle and thread through the webbing with out binding up and/or breaking off. The needle would have to fit your machine and be able to go through both pieces. If all else fails, hand sewn works

I've tried different materials and snapped the needles with to thick of material, not keeping it smooth and straight and by going to fast . it takes a little practice as far as I'm concerned.

Sometimes military surplus stores carry nylon thread that might work. What I've seen has been used for tents and such. Come to think of it, It may not be strong enough. not sure though. They may not carry it any more either. haven't been in one for awhile.

Here's some links that may help a little but the don't cover the stitch, needles or machines to use.. a search in your favorite search engine may come up with something.

Harness/Cart instructions.
http://www.geocities.com/goatacres.geo/instruct.html

yahoo groups on cart and wagon goats but yah gotta join the group(s)
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/Cart_Wagon_Goats/?yguid=63124468

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/hoof_and_harness/

and some pictures that may show a little more about the harness's etc. From what I gather, it takes about a year to train a goat.. anyway heres the link..

http://workinggoats.tripod.com/id2.html

Have Fun !!!

Pretty_Bird

« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2008, 08:36:50 PM »

Wow finally some one has a question that is right down my alley!!!
Whooo whooooooo sewing!! ya!!
Oddly enough I down sized my sewing room to create my Quail brooder room.
Let me tell you from years experience, get you one of the OLDER SINGER machines. You usually can pick them up at auctions or rummage sales for under $20.00 I HAVE SEVERAL OF THEM that I didn't pay any more than that for. Yes I know what the heck did I need with so many. Well I used 14 of them for a sewing class that I taught / teach. As the schools really don't do HOME ECONOMICS now days and some mothers want their daughters / sons (yep boys too) to know how to sew. That was my job to teach them. Of course I love to sew and I have collected sewing machines for years, I think my grand total is around 63 now.

But back to answering your question. The older model Singers will sew threw just about anything you can get under the presser foot.
I've sewn Boat covers, Boat seats, recovered Capitan's seats for vans, sewn tents,
as I said even have used them for sewing Leather. I've made several wallets on my old Singer as I can't find one in the stores I liked.

One good thing about them is t he bobins when you have to use a HEAVY DUTY THREAD it feeds off well and doesn't bind up. True it doesn't always hold lots of thread but I have found it to work out very well, you just have to fill the bobbin more often.
 You can get needles made to sew just about anything. I've never had a problem breaking needles or wearing out the machine.
 One good thing about the older type Singer machine you can set you stitch size longer for heavy material and it still sews a good tight stitch..
Singer machines are built to last trust me I have a couple from as far back as 1918 , 1930, 1935, 1941 all the way up threw the years when they were built heavy. I really don't like the newer styles (PLASTIC) but that is part of our disposable world we live in now.

Good luck, Let me know what machine you end up using.
Pretty_Bird
mobe_45
Expert Member

« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2008, 09:20:57 PM »

You got a lot of sewers Pretty Bird!
Auctions are the best price for sure. Here they go for around 2to5 bucks each.

Mark
LM GOA
Benefactor NRA
PF Member
LM NAHC
cv
Expert Member

« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2008, 12:36:36 AM »

Under 20 dollars ?    What a good deal !!! I've heard that older singers are the best before.

had to come back, I just remembered, needles were breaking on that machine (a singer)I used partly because something on it was loose that caused the needle to shift and hit the plate below which I thought I caused however I did get it work. At the time, I wanted to refurbish the interior of an automoblie and a few older chairs in leather along with a few other projects.

Since then, another machine took it's place and my ambition to sew went in the storage shed along with the machine, for now anyway.. It's suppose to be singer, a 1960 model, cased in cast metal, pops out of desk that turns into a table with the name  "sewmore" on it.  This sewmore was free, haven't used it yet though.

slider
Expert Member

« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2008, 08:51:13 AM »

There you go CH...let Pretty-Bird make it for you... s020

Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2008, 10:30:16 AM »

There you go CH...let Pretty-Bird make it for you... s020

There ya go  s020

Maybe we should start a topic called:

That Quail Place Sewing Circle

I've got this old Singer 33 years, and my wifes father had it better then 20 years. My wife doesn't sew.

I've sewn leather, canvas, and other various plastics and fabrics.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2008, 10:31:22 AM »

......and a close up.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

slider
Expert Member

« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2008, 11:52:34 AM »

Well CH now you have 2 choices... s020

CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2008, 11:19:01 PM »

Thanks alot everyone, I've gotten more solid answers to questions that I've been looking around on the web for on several occasions from all of you.

Thanks a million!    :cool:

Quote from: cv
Here's some links that may help a little but the don't cover the stitch, needles or machines to use.. a search in your favorite search engine may come up with something.

Thanks for info and those links, that helps a bunch!

Quote from: Pretty_Bird
Wow finally some one has a question that is right down my alley!!!
Whooo whooooooo sewing!! ya!!

s020  I will be looking around for one of those machines, actually my mother has a Singer that I don't think she has used for years, I'll have to investigate.

Quote from: Pheasant Hollow
Maybe we should start a topic called:

That Quail Place Sewing Circle

You may be on to something since the gamebird interest slows down considerably this time of year.   ^-^

Quote from: slider
Well CH now you have 2 choices...

:grin:  Yeah, I can just gather up my stuff and drive over to Pheasant Hollows and have him show me how to sew the first one.   ^-^   (I only really need one)     

slider
Expert Member

« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2008, 11:58:17 PM »

They look kinda complicated to me... s47

Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2008, 12:25:34 PM »

Wouldn't a harness for Mini Horses work ?

Neighbors "pets". Chose ones showing the harness...

« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 12:57:46 PM by Reeves » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »