Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 05:14:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Buy & Sell Gamebirds online!
Click Here for TQP Auction & Ads
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Production and Business
| |-+  Poultry Production
| | |-+  another predator ...rats .. anny suggestions
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: another predator ...rats .. anny suggestions  (Read 16932 times)
slider
Expert Member

What do you mean I have to press 1 for english.

« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2008, 12:05:57 AM »

I would say something but I dont want to get  s6 ......that is so funny!!!!!!!!!!!

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2008, 03:37:19 AM »

I was told that the pan of coke had to have fly bait added to it to work.

Once the rat drinks this concoction it will only travel a couple of feet and drop dead.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
Royal Flush Game Birds

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2008, 04:18:34 AM »

these 3 items will end your problem....Only thing left to do is bury the evidence.It will take care of coon and possums because they can not throw it up unlike cats and dogs.They will die within 10yrds of the pan.

WWW.ROYALFLUSHGAMEBIRDS.COM
texas.410

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2008, 05:13:54 AM »

these 3 items will end your problem....Only thing left to do is bury the evidence.It will take care of coon and possums because they can not throw it up unlike cats and dogs.They will die within 10yrds of the pan.

Now that is true. Coke and that fly bait is a deadly mixture. I was told if you use that mixture be extreemly careful. I was told it will kill anything even deer and do it quick. Ill ask this morning if the plain coke worked.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 05:17:49 AM by texas.410 » Logged

Mess with the rooster you get the spurs

The Texan Pioneer Pigeon
Show the best, eat the rest
texas.410

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2008, 08:13:52 AM »

Well the guy here at work said that he couldent see a rat one last night. He thinks the plaine coke worked. You might try it if you dont want to messw with poison. If it dosnt work on big loss.

Mess with the rooster you get the spurs

The Texan Pioneer Pigeon
Show the best, eat the rest
ode2god
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2008, 09:45:59 AM »

awesome guys j2 thanks for all youre help ill try the coke alone first ..until the weather warms up the birds will be in so the rats dont have a food source right now so im sure i can get a good handle on it  s98 see you guys can play nice when you wanna
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2008, 09:53:34 AM »

until the weather warms up the birds will be in

Thought you said it was warm?   I think you pamper them things too much, they can handle it with ease......they like being outside.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
ode2god
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2008, 10:33:14 AM »

until the weather warms up the birds will be in

Thought you said it was warm?   I think you pamper them things too much, they can handle it with ease......they like being outside.
well its chilly today,well for us , its only getting up to 69 ... its hot 80s for a few days with lows in the 70s then it 48 for low and 68-9 for high 2 days in a row then up to 74 again ...i thought the up and down temps might get them sick i9
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2008, 12:56:42 PM »

Even 48 to 80 in one day isn't too much of a swing.  We are getting 25-30 degree swings, every day.  High yesterday was 63, low tonight supposed to be 27.  I wouldn't think of trying to herd them into a shed.  Did you stimulate their oil glands, before letting them out, in the first place?

Does the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission put out smudge pots to keep the wild birds comfortable, from the "Man made Climate Change"?

(God, I hope they don't read this).

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
slider
Expert Member

« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2008, 02:31:57 PM »

Well I read it and you will get more flax from us than them... s20 I cant believe that you ask her that... s47 you know what her answer is going to be...are YOU  s144   j45  j45                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              (OIL GLANDS) j45  j44  j41
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 02:34:56 PM by slider » Logged

wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2008, 02:44:08 PM »

I was actually more concerned that they would read it, and think it was a good idea.  And I'm really not 100% sure about the answer.  10-15 years ago, it would have been predictable.  Who knows, these days.

After re-reading, I'm not sure I clearly made the point that, they will not, generally, use shelter if it is available, and that perhaps they should be indoors, if oil glands have not been stimulated.

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
slider
Expert Member

« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2008, 03:14:48 PM »

And you KNOW that she understands all of that... i9

CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2008, 03:22:07 PM »

they will not, generally, use shelter if it is available, and that perhaps they should be indoors, if oil glands have not been stimulated.

Very well put.

ode2god
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2008, 09:02:33 PM »

And you KNOW that she understands all of that... i9
s20  thank you slider ...okay yes i am the idiot here ..and you do realize these are not yer big game birds they are little puny button quail full grown they are much bigger than parakeets.. how do you find the oil glands on them?...also they are not used to cold weather yet they are barely 6 mos. old..and the change im concerned about guys is the day to day ..not necessarily high low... ::)  you know cold one day hot the next
 :-|
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2008, 10:11:02 PM »

I don't know nuttin' 'bout button quail. But I bet they need to be watered down and conditioned to withstand the elements just like any other bird/critter.  You're not doing them any favors by not exposing them to their enviroment, especially where you live.

how do you find the oil glands on them?...

:-|

With a microscope.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »