Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:51:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Thank you for making us one of the highest ranking gamebird sites on the internet!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Incubation
| | |-+  Thermostat for home-built incubator?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thermostat for home-built incubator?  (Read 15383 times)
pamike
Expert Member

« on: April 12, 2006, 10:53:40 PM »

Is there a thermostat that I can buy at like Lowes that I can wire into my incubator run on 110v AC to control my temps? I am using a 40watt bulb and the temp is 101-102 most of the time but in the morning when it is cooler it drops a few degrees and I have to add some warm water to raise the temp, and in the evening when it is warmer it raises a few degrees and I have to prop the door open about 3/4" to help lower the temp. I have been looking for a wafer type but I can only find the replacement wafers and not the complete assembly.

mike
zip
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2006, 07:44:47 AM »

The thermostats for homes do not work well enough to use in incubation you can however use them in brooders. They have too much of a delay to control the temps properly (I tried it.). You can go to strombergschickens.com and get a complete wafer thermostat  for 24.50. Hope this helps.
JohnInDixon
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2006, 09:16:33 AM »

Also FYI... home thermostats run on 24 volts (usually a transformer near the furnace to drop the voltage).  Might save you an embarassing moment at Lowes ;)
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2006, 03:36:16 PM »

They do make a 110volt thermostat for things like baseboard heaters, but they will not work for incubation, the differental is to high, it could very up to 6 degrees...depending.

Here is a link to a thermostat that works great for brooders... 

http://www.bigappleherp.com/Pages/Product/924100.html#descriptionLink

I use this on a 2 foot baseboard heater in my brooder, it works great. I don't have to worry about bulbs or anything burning out, plus I control the amount of red light with a reostat to eliminate pecking.

You can find the complete wafer type assembly online at several different poultry suppliers.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
MayDix2009

Personal Text

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 10:32:16 AM »

Yeah the thermostats for homes do not work well enough to use in incubation...

Personal Text

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2009, 04:19:10 PM »

Just like everyone else says, been there and tried it but line voltage thermostats vary too much. I use a wafer and find it to hold very close. I've been told that a water heater termostat works but never tried it and they are no cheaper.
backcountry
Expert Member

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2009, 07:58:43 AM »

i have  a home digital   thermostat on my leahy i installed it runs on 110 and has a remote works good  only thing is its in celicus  and there is a 1.5 to 2 degree swing in kicking on and off
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2009, 11:32:44 PM »

I've been told that a water heater termostat works but never tried it and they are no cheaper.

Yes, they aren't cheap and the differential (on and off cycle) is too great for incubating.  You may hatch some eggs, but I'd bet that the hatch rate would be low.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
backcountry
Expert Member

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2009, 08:32:30 AM »

best place it find a deal is on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360138058732
is the one i got and i like it alot has a remote probe you can get for $8
Gavin123

Personal Text

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2013, 11:05:47 AM »

I am looking for such thermostat, too.
Hope someone to recommend.

Yishun bike——Pro carbon bike producer