Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:06:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Adding Pictures to your message is EASY! 
While creating a topic, click on ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and then the Browse
button. Select a picture file from your computer and your done!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Our Member's Section
| |-+  Generally Asked Questions
| | |-+  Help Needed in Identifying Quail Species and Sex
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Help Needed in Identifying Quail Species and Sex  (Read 5346 times)
Caille

Personal Text

« on: July 04, 2010, 09:50:44 AM »

Hi Everyone,

I recently bought three Japanese Quails: English whute (Male), Bob-bird (Female), and a third one which I am not sure of what species and sex it is. (Images of the quail are here: http://s778.photobucket.com/albums/yy66/Quail4Ever/: ). It does not crow and does not produce any white, foamy substance, and it does not lay eggs.

In case this is a male, I was wondering if two males and one female can be housed together? if not, can the male in question be housed alone in a separate cage of does it need a companion?

I will highly appreciate your help in the matter at hand!
kenman

Personal Text

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 09:48:43 AM »

Hey, you've got some nice birds there! I am no expert; however, I do believe you have a golden hen. The goldens are a mutation of the browns and just like the browns, the hens have a speckled breast while the males have a solid color. If you are sure about the sex of the English and the Tuxedo, you should begin receiving two small speckled eggs at any time.
Caille

Personal Text

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 11:11:24 AM »

Hi kenman,

Thanks for your kind words about the pictures :)

It took me a while and some consulting before realizing this lil one was indeed a female (I do hope so, as this will be the perfect part in the trio of birds I have ;)).

The Bob-bird, a female, had only laid one egg on the first day I got her, and she didn't have any ever since.
The vet told me quails have off times in which they don't lay, especially when be relocated to a new home. Also, since my quails are outdoors, they don't get 14 hours of light a day needed for egg-laying, otherwise no egg-laying is not a symptom that something's wrong with the quail.

kenman

Personal Text

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 01:32:27 PM »

Sounds like you have it under control. My experience has been that every time I mess with my birds, they usually take a couple days off. In moving them, you may be looking at a week or two before they restart. May I ask, what do have planned for them? Are you going to hatch eggs?
Caille

Personal Text

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 01:01:51 AM »

Well, at the moment all my quails are given antibiotics due to a health issue with one of my birds. I suspect the lil Cinnamon girl (assuming she's one! ;)) hadn't sexually matured yet, as the male does not seem as keen and as interested in her as he is on my Bob-bird. I just got the trio as pets, didn't really think about what to do with eggs, especially since none are heading my way at the moment  dk2 Also, hatching requires special conditions, provided one has an incubator of course, which I don't have as well  n1 Although it would have been nice to hatch one of the Cinnamon eggs and have an heir, if she does lay sometimes  :)  What do you do with your quail's eggs? do you hatch them?
kenman

Personal Text

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 09:01:23 AM »

The eggs should be coming soon, one per day per bird, everyday! Without an incubator, hatching is difficult as Coturnix aren't known for broodiness. What we do with extra eggs is boil them with some salt in the water (makes for easier peeling) and eat them in some way, shape or fashion. You can fry some but it takes a bunch to make breakfast. I have about 10 hens, all browns, and raise Coturnix to sell, eat, or as pets. I think they are great birds. Easy keepers, hardy, and not to much noise. What's funny is the chicks I hatch are browns, whites, and goldens, all with brown parent stock. No telling what colors you would get from your trio. I have alot of fun with them and hope you will too.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »