Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:13:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Buy & Sell Gamebirds online!
Click Here for TQP Auction & Ads
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Brooding and Raising
| | |-+  Feed-Discussion pertaining to various types of feeds, brands, what to feed and when.
| | | |-+  Feeding for Fertile Eggs
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Feeding for Fertile Eggs  (Read 5151 times)
princessnic

Personal Text

« on: April 22, 2010, 10:21:34 AM »

s85
Is there a special type of feed I should be feeding my quail/pheasant/peacocks?  I have read need to feed Game Bird Breeding Feed through breeding season - is this correct?  My quail and pheasant have been laying; however, I have yet to have any of the eggs be fertile (my brother is having the same problem with his birds).  Together we have had probably at least 50 pheasant eggs and not one of them have been good (just yoke).  All of the quail eggs that have been laid (1 every day since February) are all yoke as well.  What am I doing wrong?  Any suggestions would be appreciated. 
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 07:06:42 PM »

Yes, you need a game bird breeder ration (normally in the 20% range)......started in about Feb. This continues through to the end of eggs season. Game bird maintenance (normally around 15%) for the rest of the year.

Water soluble vitamins often, year round.

You have aviaries of sufficient size for each pair ? Grass grows well ?
Peafowl minimum recommeded size is 400 sq. ft. (bigger is always better, for all species)

Do you feed "treats" of any greens or berries ?

I posted more on this topic before, in the Incubation section ?
Before incubation , I think the title is....
princessnic

Personal Text

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 07:25:54 PM »

I found a Multi Species Game Bird Breeder on Hubbardfeeds.com that they say to use during breeding season for Pheasant and Peacock.  My birds have plenty of space - they don't let any grass grow - I throw grass clippings into each pen.  They also get in addition to bird seeds/sunflower seeds - they get bread, lettuce, spinach, tomatoes, zuchinni.  Do I use the Game Bird breeder for the quail as well?
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 10:47:17 PM »

Any feed made for Pheasants and Peafowl will be too large for Quail.

Read more here....I'm in Canada, so what you have available down there will differ greatly.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »