Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:37:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hope everyone had a great year.  Welcome to 2013.  Our monthly drawings will be starting back soon!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Production and Business
| |-+  Poultry Production
| | |-+  Laying nests 4 pheasants
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Laying nests 4 pheasants  (Read 21182 times)
Purpletaco

« on: April 04, 2009, 04:37:52 PM »

What do most of you use to put in your pheasant pens for your hens to lay in.   Does anyone have a good source to get them

Thanks,
Curt
jimmurray3
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2009, 09:38:29 PM »

I don't put anything in my pens and they lay right on.  ty2 Jim
kingwolf
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 10:40:06 PM »

agd1 you really don't need laying boxes but if you really want to just make some 1x1 wooden boxes, that would do the trick but i would bet on them wanting to lay in them

Chukar Partridge, California Valley Quail, Gambel Quail, Mountain Quail, Chestnut Blue Scale Quail, Snowflake Mexican Speckle, Tennessee Reds, Georgia Giants, Blonde Bobwhites, Dark cross bobwhites and always growing!
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 11:25:41 PM »

Read this right after you posted it.....waiting to see what kinds of answers you get  :angel:
jimmeek

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 12:50:09 AM »

Read this right after you posted it.....waiting to see what kinds of answers you get  :angel:

So you'll know how to get your's to lay, huh?  gi8
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2009, 07:47:34 AM »

So you'll know how to get your's to lay, huh?  gi8

w23
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 08:38:27 AM by Reeves » Logged
jimmeek

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2009, 10:35:42 AM »

Thanks, I hate mosquitos.
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2009, 11:31:07 AM »

thk1

Ok, ok ! I may as well add my loonie now, before this gets way off track  :grin:

I wouldn't just let them lay their eggs all over the place. The idea is to have clean eggs for incubation. Having them lay wherever, in a pen where fecal matter is mixed with dirt, is asking for a science project in the incubator.

1'x1' nests are too small.

Steve (Pheasant Hollow) posted pictures of various nests he uses. You'll have to look for the posts. (he still reads here at TQP but has his panties in a knot...maybe he will post them again ?  i9   :grin: )

You do not have to buy them. Just build them.
Will you be letting them hatch their own eggs ? If so you'll want to build them low enough for the chicks to enter/exit the nest with ease.

When I get new (young) birds that will be in their first laying season, I put a couple plastic eggs in each nest. This gives them a clue of where to lay & has always worked for me.

Try to avoid raised nest boxes, unless it is for a species that requires them raised.
kingwolf
Expert Member

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2009, 01:24:10 PM »

agd1 i would only put in laying boxes if you are going to let them hatch their own eggs otherwise let them lay wherever

Chukar Partridge, California Valley Quail, Gambel Quail, Mountain Quail, Chestnut Blue Scale Quail, Snowflake Mexican Speckle, Tennessee Reds, Georgia Giants, Blonde Bobwhites, Dark cross bobwhites and always growing!
jimmeek

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2009, 01:35:29 PM »

thk1

(Figgered you was swattin' one on back of my head).

Glad to see all ideas about this.  Plan to raise a few, starting this spring.  No point "egg hunting" whole pen 3-4 times a day

Looks like kingwolf's a real "birdlover" good to see youngsters paying attention to something useful, and learning
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 01:37:34 PM by jimmeek » Logged
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2009, 01:43:36 PM »

King...read my last post again.

I wouldn't just let them lay their eggs all over the place. The idea is to have clean eggs for incubation. Having them lay wherever, in a pen where fecal matter is mixed with dirt, is asking for a science project in the incubator.
Purpletaco

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2009, 02:23:54 PM »

Heres the reason I asked the question.  last year I had  a real bad problem with my outdoor birds dropping eggs wherever.  This is alright if we have no rain.  But any type of rain and they get to nasty to hatch.  A few years back I had been to guys pens in the UP who had little small like barns he put out and he said 90% of his pheasants  laid their eggs inside of them.  This kept the eggs from the elements.   I just wondered if it would be worthwhile and if anyone else was doing it.

Thanks,
curt
kingwolf
Expert Member

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2009, 08:54:26 PM »

King...read my last post again.

OH!  dh1 wasn't paying attention there but i really haven't had that much of a problem with the fecal matter all my hens lay in the same spot and then if the eggs do get dirty i just wash them off but i have never gotten them to lay in the nesting boxes Ive made for them

Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2009, 08:42:54 PM »

A few years back I had been to guys pens in the UP who had little small like barns he put out and he said 90% of his pheasants  laid their eggs inside of them.  This kept the eggs from the elements.   I just wondered if it would be worthwhile and if anyone else was doing it.

I've seen this many times, and yes, it works.

King....you read my info on washing eggs ?
kingwolf
Expert Member

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2009, 10:09:28 PM »

nope i haven't but it sounds like i need to though

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »