Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:50:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Adding Pictures to your message is EASY! 
While creating a topic, click on ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and then the Browse
button. Select a picture file from your computer and your done!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Brooding and Raising
| | |-+  Feed-Discussion pertaining to various types of feeds, brands, what to feed and when.
| | | |-+  Is Turkey starter.......
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is Turkey starter.......  (Read 6199 times)
Man Cave

« on: April 01, 2009, 11:02:23 PM »

ok to use as the only feed? I'm going to supplement with some oyster shell (free choice). I'm raising mostly coturnix and just a few Bobwhite. I'm trying to get away with carrying 1 vs 4 different feeds. Thoughts!
makesmiles

« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 12:24:06 AM »

It's okay to use starter as only feed.  Oyster shell is good idea.  You can also feed back unneeded boiled eggs.  Just put them in the food processor, shell and all and feed to the birds.  Don't see why you need 4 feeds.  I use Purina gamebird starter and layena only.  I think one of the guys on this site (I think Slider, but could be wrong) uses only gamebird starter.  He says he thinks his birds do better with the higher protein.  Maybe he will answer up here and give you his experience without my guess work.

Thanks David
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 09:36:58 AM »

Rather than Oyster shell, use the lime stone grit. Get the #1 size for Quail. Put it in another dish apart from the normal grit. The hens will use as needed. Males learn they do not need much of it.

I think it was said to grind the Oyster shell up and put on their food. Only problem with that is the males will get too much calcium. (I have data on that someplace)

They only need the extra calcium during egg season. It will also not hurt the chicks to have some extra to help build good bones etc.
Circle R Ranch Kevin Rockholt

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 10:29:34 AM »

Just as Reeves stated we grind the oyster shell and apply it as a top dressing.  We currently use NutrenaWise Gamebird Starter mixed with crushed corn and a Finch Blend then top dressed for our breeders (Jumbo Coturnix) and chicks.  We do not use it at this time on our Meat birds.  We no longer have any issues with soft shells or no shells.  Hope this helps!

Circle R Ranch - Kevin Rockholt - Pasadena, Tx - Licensed by the State of TX.  Lic. #  4661
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »