Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2024, 10:42:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
TQP Forum has a new look!  Let us know what you think!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Our Member's Section
| |-+  Generally Asked Questions
| | |-+  drinkers and feeders....
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: drinkers and feeders....  (Read 6203 times)
theodoulos

Personal Text

« on: March 28, 2009, 05:28:48 PM »

does anybody knows how i will make my own automatic feeder and drinker for my quails???
(i would like to see photos please)..

thank you...
kingwolf
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 06:07:45 PM »

I guess i need more info to answer your question. Are your feeders for chicks or adults? Are your feeders and waters going to be inside or outside? What are you planning to make them out of? I will attach a website that has great products and from my experience in what i have used for poultry and gamebirds i think you would be better off buying your stuff seeing that they are more heavy duty and will last longer . . . thanks for your time

Chukar Partridge, California Valley Quail, Gambel Quail, Mountain Quail, Chestnut Blue Scale Quail, Snowflake Mexican Speckle, Tennessee Reds, Georgia Giants, Blonde Bobwhites, Dark cross bobwhites and always growing!
theodoulos

Personal Text

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 02:49:54 PM »

many thanks kingwolf for your reply...the feeders and drinkers will be outside the cage and the bird will be adult's..i found a good drinkers for the birds in ebay but they seem expensive..the feeders i saw in other photos in Google they made of hose and cut from above...i can't attached photos to see what i mean..
do you have any idea how i will do automatic drinkers?
kingwolf
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009, 03:49:47 PM »

Heres a website of waterers that might give you an idea

http://www.cutlersupply.com/cart/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=11_60&zenid=pgbaqtchelnos39s1lvcrpuhv0

Chukar Partridge, California Valley Quail, Gambel Quail, Mountain Quail, Chestnut Blue Scale Quail, Snowflake Mexican Speckle, Tennessee Reds, Georgia Giants, Blonde Bobwhites, Dark cross bobwhites and always growing!
theodoulos

Personal Text

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 02:52:07 PM »

thank you very much kingwolf for your help... s98
kingwolf
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009, 07:29:23 PM »

Did it help any?

theodoulos

Personal Text

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2009, 03:45:46 PM »

a kind of...i have an idea and i will tried to make one two and i will see...
thanks again.
Danman

Personal Text

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2009, 08:33:44 AM »

Will see what I can do about pics. What I did was take a mayo jar and drilled a 1/4 hole in the side of the cap, screwed it on the jar and marked where the hole is then cut a section to match. I then found a lid about twice the size of the mayo jar lid (you can use anything that could be used as a water dish, frizbee for larger?) and silicone glued the smaller lid in the bigger lid. The key is that the top of the hole must be lower than the lip of the larger lid.
greyghost
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2010, 05:26:48 PM »

Theo, this is going to get interesting, so, bear with me. If you use a small ( battery powered ) immersible pump, say 1/2 gallon/ minute, then attach plastic tubing ( whatever size fits,.) run that to a 2 1/2 inch Dia. PVC pipe. The pipe will be capped on either side. The length of the pipe will be to your specs, also you will need to cut a section out of the pipe to create a trough.  This you will hang on the side of your cage. On the inlet side coming from the pump the tubing will go into a hole drilled by you at the top of the cap. On the other end your tubing will drain at a level just lower than the other side. Seal the lower side with clear silicone.
I hope you can see this in your head. Now it gets very cool;  Put your pump at the bottom of a 1 gallon bucket and attach enough wire to run out of the bucket. Make sure you keep the pump below the water "trough" so the water from the outlet side returns to the bucket by gravity. Fill the bucket with water  and cover with a fine mesh to keep out leaves and such.  Now attach a 6 amp, 12 volt battery charger as your power supply.
It uses very little power and the birds have NO chance of electrocution, and until your birds drink up a full gallon of water, you are covered. AND it may not freeze because you could run it continually.Ghost.
backcountry
Expert Member

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2010, 07:04:16 PM »

sounds like a good plan ghost   what size wire would you use on the front of the cage for the birds so they can get their head through to drink? and as far as freezing if you have power use a fish tank heater in the bucket to help with the water temp or heat tape  in side the water trough
greyghost
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2010, 07:58:33 PM »

BC, with this method you can use the trough INSIDE the cage, but you hang it up where the birds cannot soil the water. Thus, eliminating the clean up.  Run the inlet side through the left side of the cage and you can run the outlet through the bottom. If the tubing is larger than your wire, simply grab your side-cutters and make it work! And, GOOD idea, a fish tank heater would work great!  th3 Ghost.

If you get REAL creative, you could run as many cages as you wanted by lowering the cages form L to R as you go and use a larger bucket. But make sure your pump has the "lift" to do the job. Lift is the pumps power to push water up hill. Once the water goes into the first cage, gravity will do the rest untill it gets back to your bucket.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »