Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 22, 2024, 08:08:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Adding Pictures to your message is EASY! 
While creating a topic, click on ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and then the Browse
button. Select a picture file from your computer and your done!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Build It Yourself
| | |-+  elevated aviaries
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: elevated aviaries  (Read 3195 times)
bkvail

« on: March 18, 2009, 01:35:28 PM »

I have noticed a lot of the aviaries are raised above ground - is this for easier manure removal mostly?  Do quail prefer full sun areas, or partial shade or mostly shady?  I have an area behind my garage that would be an excellent spot - not invading on the back yard space - but it's pretty shady most of the day........

Don't be so open-minded your brains fall out!
jimmurray3
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 08:17:36 PM »

bkvail, The pen raised off the ground are for several reasons. For one the pens stay alot cleaner & free of disease. Another advantage is it's harder for predator to get to and so on. As far as sun & shade they like them both just depends on what kind of day it is. Thank Ya Jim
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 08:32:03 PM »

Make sure their sand box is in the sun. They'll be using it a lot, and they'll also lay in it to soak up the sun.

Like Jim said, they like both sun and shade. Their water should always be in shade.
TENNESSERED

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 10:39:07 PM »

I keep quail both ways.  To be honest quail love being on the ground.  I keep my covey of bobs in a large pen with my white pea fowl.  You can see how much fun they have exploring the pen each day.  Plus they are much more at ease when they are in a more natural situation, not so flighty or nervous.  Every day I spend time in the pen feeding them their favorite treats of bread and crushed corn.  On the other hand I keep most of my coturnix in elevated pens beacause it keeps the eggs cleaner.  Coturnix  handle being in cages much better than
Bobs.  The aviary the bobs are in is about 450 s.f. 23' by 20' by 12' high they share this with my trio of Pea fowl.  The elevated pens my coturnix are in are 10' by 3' by 2' high.  All my quail love to lay in the sun for part of the day.
good luck and have fun!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »