Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 03:16:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
TQP Forum has a new look!  Let us know what you think!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Production and Business
| |-+  Poultry Production
| | |-+  Queation #2
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Queation #2  (Read 3117 times)
student

« on: November 23, 2008, 09:38:32 PM »

Does shipping of eggs have an effect on the quality? Does shipping in hot weather like June or July effect quality? What kind of containers are the eggs shipped in?
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 02:47:01 AM »

Shipping often reduces hatch ate, but I have generally gotten 85%-90% hatches from shipped eggs (very expensive incubators, though).

Summer is much safer for eggs, than winter, but I have had great hatches from properly shipped eggs.  Most reputable (not the average ebay) sellers will pack the eggs with enough insulating material to prevent damage under normal handling.  This should insure against "cooking" the eggs.   I have never bought eggs that were packed less than 600 per carton.  I'm sure the larger mass has helped in weather extremes.  Others may have had different experiences, especially with orders of 200-300 eggs, or less.

Most ship in paper egg cartons, same material as paper chicken egg cartons from grocery stores, but with no folding lid.  Check GQF website for pictures.  Some use foam with a whole for each egg.

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
mobe_45
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2008, 08:11:03 AM »

I,ve never bought more than 200 at once. I think wilders right that large orders get a better insulation  from possible extreme temp during shipping. Most small orders ship with either plastic egg trays with some padding around the trays. I have also had the foam shipping with a hole for each egg. That's the one with the fewest broken eggs I've had yet. I have yet to get eggs in the paper trays probably just due to none of the sellers use them that I got eggs from. Wilders right about most ebayers and their eggs. Some have no regard for breakage or fertility. If you buy on ebay read all of their feedback and if possible email those who bought. With the new feedback rules on ebay it's hard to weed out the scum.

Mark
LM GOA
Benefactor NRA
PF Member
LM NAHC
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2008, 12:53:41 AM »

Maybe I should clarify something, just in case.

Some good producers do sell some of their eggs on ebay.  Most of these will have websites, or ads in magazines, or on Gamebird Central, or other sites.  Also, if you find eggs listed on ebay, you can check the www.naga.org   website to see if they are a member.  Generally they sell at their location, and especially if they offer delivery, they are more likely to be trustworthy.

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »