Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 07:45:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hope everyone had a great year.  Welcome to 2013.  Our monthly drawings will be starting back soon!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Brooding and Raising
| | |-+  Feed-Discussion pertaining to various types of feeds, brands, what to feed and when.
| | | |-+  Advice on edible cover for pheasant pen
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Advice on edible cover for pheasant pen  (Read 4629 times)
DDWBeagles
« on: June 18, 2004, 10:05:05 PM »

Well, I got 9 ring necks two weeks ago and they are doing great.  They have been moved outside to a covered and shielded 4x8x8h coup.  They are 5 weeks old now.   I have an attached pen that is currently sowed in alfalfa hay and crimson clover.  I also planted a few dense rows of corn for cover.  I have two grape vines in there (one purple concord and one green Muscovite).  These will share a raised horizontal trellis and provide food, shade and cover.  The last thing in there is two large blueberry bushes.  What do you guys think?   Any other suggestions on plants that will provide some natural roughage?   I'm trying to provide them cover, shade and help augment their game feed.  
   If you guys have tried something and it's working, let me know.  I'm in VA, which is zone 7 for agriculture.
poultryman90

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2004, 02:27:03 AM »

It sounds great how you are doing it. The blueberry plants sound good too. Another thing I would suggest is if you can find any, plant some sunflowers. They provide decent cover, and the birds will like the seeds. I am guessing by your screen name that you raise beagles? Good dogs.

Ethan King-

King's Poultry & Gamebirds

Ethan_King@hotmail.com
910 875 5077
DDWBeagles
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2004, 02:55:32 PM »

Good idea poultryman.  I think dwarf sunflowers will make a fine addition.  Thanks for the input.  ......and yes, I have several beagles, two of which are directly from some of the "winningest" (if such a word exists) AKC show lines.  When time permits, I use them in rabbit field trials and show them on the bench.  But in honesty, most of our time together is just out in the field enjoying nature and listening to them run a rabbit.   I would love to get a bird dog, but other than turkeys, there's not a whole lot of upland game birds around here.  I am always impressed at the dedication upland bird dog owners put into their dogs.   :lol:
birdinwithblue
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2004, 11:46:43 PM »

you might try some milo for feed and switch grass for cover . i find a lot of them around that feed and cover in Iowa when i'm hunting . corns good bean are ok milo is real good .
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »