Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 04:23:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Thank you for making us one of the highest ranking gamebird sites on the internet!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Build It Yourself
| | |-+  Quail Protection
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Quail Protection  (Read 6157 times)
JOEQUAIL

« on: July 07, 2008, 09:31:09 PM »

I am new to raising bobwhites.  I have taken extreme care in building my first pen, 16'x16'. I have used 1/2"x1" woven wire and thought I had my bases covered.

One problem blacksnakes.  Got 4 of mine for dinner.  I live in the country and I am at a loss.  Any suggestions.--Cover the entire pen with .5x.5"?????

I am just distrought.
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 09:47:05 PM »

s016

1/2 x 1/2 would probably do it, but that is probably something that you don't want to have to do or buy, especially after just building it.

I throw mothballs all around my pen and buildings, plus I try to keep any mice dead through various methods. 

Now that they know where the easy food is at, you may have to kill or catch it/them..............or go with the 1/2 x 1/2 wire?

Good Luck

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
slider
Expert Member

What do you mean I have to press 1 for english.

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 06:51:45 AM »

AHHHHHHHH ! The Black Rat Snake....welcome to quail raising...dont sweat it..just raise a few extra for them..and they will also keep the rat and mouse problem down...the best time to catch them is at night. And you must have a pretty big hole or space some where in the cage for it to get back out after eating the quail..usually when they eat one or two there trapped inside the cage.....

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
jchiar
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 06:02:56 PM »

Use 1/2x1/2   1/2 x1 is to big
steg

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2008, 01:16:12 PM »

I'm no genius but an ole timer up here told me to "snake proof"  a pen I should use 1x10 at right angles like an upside down L. They crawl to the back and up but hit the next board over their heads.

he said I could move it up the outside of the pen until I found the sweet spot wehre the wouldn't crawl around the horizontal lip..

Hope this helps. It works in production and the description sounded really good in my mind....
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2008, 01:03:16 AM »

I'm no genius but an ole timer up here told me to "snake proof"  a pen I should use 1x10 at right angles like an upside down L. They crawl to the back and up but hit the next board over their heads.

Good Idea, steg.     And  s016.

slider
Expert Member

What do you mean I have to press 1 for english.

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2008, 08:52:24 AM »

s016 that is something to think about... ::)

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »